Best HR Conference for the Buck

I'm finishing up my budget and want to include some money for at least one conference for me and one other HR person. What do people recommend? Any you think we should avoid?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If you haven't been to SHRM's annual conference, it is worth going at least once. There are lots of breakout sessions and it's a great way to meet a lot of people if you take advantage of the opportunity. However, if you are looking for "bang for the buck," a smaller conference targeted to the subjects you are most interested in might be best. For instance, you might want to really focus on recruiting and retention--SHRM has one on this and others offer regional seminars. I actually went to BLR's Employment Law Update in November-the sessions were good and the smaller group meant I had a lot of time to ask questions and speak to the lawyers who were presenting.
  • Hi Kate:

I like the SHRM annual conference. It is huge. This is good and not so good, since there many sessions held at the same time that I need to/want to attend. It is hard to choose which one to go to. For a smaller conference, I like the National Employment Law Institute (NELI). The speakers are good quality, but sometimes the topics are kind of limited.