Sample Rejection Letter

I am very new to the recruitment/HR process with no training and need to write back an applicant who's experience was good but not an exact fit for what we're looking for.  I want to be as vague as possible due to the laws that exist...can anyone provide a sample of how I would structure this email?

Thanks!

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • we use something like this.

Thank you for your interest in the position of …

Although your background and qualifications are impressive, we have decided on a candidate whose experience is a better match for this position.

Thank you for your time and good luck in your search.

• The letter we use is very similar to what Regdunlop gave you in the previous posting:

Dear Candidate,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

Thank you for taking the time to apply for a X position with X Company.

We are fortunate to have many well-qualified candidates apply for this position.  After careful consideration we regret to inform you that we can not offer you employment at this time.

Please accept our best wishes and thank you for your interest in X Company.

Sincerely,

Human Resource Department

• Here is ours -- it is a little more "flowery" than some: 

On behalf of all of us at L Inc., thank you for the interest that you expressed in our ___________ position.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

It is very beneficial for an expanding company such as ours to have qualified applicants to interview for positions as we grow.  I thoroughly enjoyed our interview and learning more about you and your interests.

Upon careful consideration, although your qualifications were excellent, they did not match our needs for this particular position.   I am confident, however, that you will be a valuable addition to any company who can put your talents and professionalism to work for them.  We will keep your resume on file for future reference.

Thanks again for your interest and the time you spent with us.

• Hey, do all of you really send out rejection letters?

My colleage graduate son is job hunting and he doesn't even get a rejection letter if he drives 2 hours and has an hour-long interview.

The most he got was a post card; but hey, it was better than nothing.

• I do send out rejection letters, although most of mine are done via email as that is the way that I communicate with candidates 99% of the time.  But you are correct that many companies do not send out rejection letters or even notify a candidate that someone else has been choosen.  A friend's signicant other was interviewed many times for a Senior Executive position and has not heard anything from the company in the last month since his last interview.  He has followed up with Thank you letters, left phone messages and sent an email to find out the status to no avail.

I think it is important, especially if you have a candidate that has gone through a long process, to notify them of the outcome. 

• I generally send one out if I have interviewed the candidate in person.    And if I can send it email, I do.

I try to send out "we've received your resume" emails, but sometimes get overwhelmed with the number that come in such that it is very hard to reply to each one.

• Dear___,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thank you very much for your interest in employment opportunities with ________. We enjoyed meeting you.

Selecting a final candidate was difficult.  However, we have selected another candidate who is well qualified and best meets our current needs.  Our choice in no way reflects upon your excellent skills and abilities.

We sincerely wish you the best in your job search and appreciate your continued interest in employment at Western.

Sincerely,

•  

Dear ____,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thank you very much for your interest in employment opportunities here at _____________. We enjoyed meeting you.

Selecting a final candidate was difficult.  However, we have selected another candidate who is well qualified and best meets our current needs.  Our choice in no way reflects upon your excellent skills and abilities.

We will maintain your records for a period of time, and should a position open that matches your qualifications we will contact you.

We sincerely wish you the best in your job search.

Sincerely,