Recognition Program

Does anybody have a successful recognition program, either formally or informally that is relative low cost?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have a number of different recognition programs, but the most low-cost and easy to administer is called our "grands" program.

Grands are vouchers on which the giver writes "thanks for....."   They are given when someone goes above-and-beyond in any way.   We've kept the parameters pretty wide open.... they are often given for catching errors, staying late to help with a project, making a suggestion for improvement, taking a lead role in a meeting, etc. etc. 

Employees save up their grands and redeem them for an item of their choice- a gift certificate to a local business, a voucher to our company store, movie tickets, etc.   Each grand is worth roughly $1.   So, 15 grands can get a person 3 movie tickets or a $15 gift certificate.

In addition to our "thank you" grands, we also acknowledge every employee on his/her birthday with a birthday card that includes 5 grands. 

For our 500 employee facility, we budget about $8,000 a year to cover the costs of the items that employees redeem their grands for.   Most employees receive, on average, 10-20  grands per year.

• This is my first posting so stay with me on this!!  We have a program call "Caught in the Act of Greatness" and it is for going above and beyond you normal job.  This includes a certificate (I make it) and a thermal cup with "Above and Beyond" on it.  We do the same thing for safety but it is called "A Staying Ovation for Safety".  In both cases we put their name in the weekly news letter. 

I was told by our treasurerer that they can be taxed on anything we give them in money?  I thought it had to be over $99.99?  Can you answer that?  Also, I really like the "grands" ideas.