Applicants rating interest in jobs?

I was speaking with an HR manager yesterday at a Chamber breakfast.  She told me that at the end of interviews, she asks the applicants to rate their interest in the job on a scale of 1 to 10.

Aside from putting a nervous applicant on the spot, I don't see how valid this info would be--or how useful.  Applicants will  say at least an "8" if they are at all interested.

What do you think of this practice?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think you're right about wondering if it's an accurate reflection of how the applicant feels about the job.  Anyone who wants to stay in the running for a job would be smart to say 10!  On the other hand, if an applicant gives a low number, it could save you a lot of time! 
  • I totally agree with you.  I think first, though, that I would ask the applicant if they have any further questions about the job that I just described.  That might give me more insight as to whether or not I had given a good description of what the job was about.  I might also ask the applicant why they gave the rating of the job they did.  Again, I'm looking to see what the person has to say and evaluating that.