Re-hiring...Good or Bad?

My company is thinking about re-hiring a former ee who left about 2 years ago...i'm just trying to come up with the pros and cons of rehiring someone who left for another job. What do you all think?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The first thing I would consider is why did they leave . . . if they took time off to get an advanced degree, or to travel, or for personal/family reasons, and they are fully prepared to return to the workforce, then why not? Former employees require significantly less training, and, if they were good employees in the past (which presumably they were since you want to rehire), then you are dealing with a known quantity -- a real bonus in this time of shortages in qualified candidates.
  • these days a lot of employees leave an employer only to return later. the first question you should ask:  was this person a good employee in the past (once a good employee, a person usually stays a good employee)? if the person was a good employee, how good was he or she? will your company benefit more by re-hiring the former employee (the main risk being he or she could leave again after a short period of time) or by hiring someone else (the risk being a bad hire and/or the employee leaving just as quickly as the former employee possibly would)?  you should also look at what your company's retention efforts.  what will your company do to keep employees and get the most out of employees while they are there?
  • You could also look to se if the person job hops. If so, this may just be another short stop. If not, they may really intend to come back for the long term. Sometimes the grass looks greener, but once someone leaves they wish they hadn't.
  • I totally agree with RuthG on this.  Several managers in my company have a policy of hiring a person back once if the person is a good worker.  You never know the complete circumstances as to the reason that he/she left.  It almost seems the norm today to job hop.  In the end you are going to have to use your best judgment as to whether to rehire this person or not. 
  • I couldn't agree more with ntk104 and RuthG--in fact, if he or she was a good employee, you are dealing with someone who has already proven themselves to your company, and, although they left, in some respects must have been a good fit.  You know exactly who you are dealing with, and they already know about your work processes, etc., cutting back time on  orientation, training, etc. So long as they are someone who left on good terms I'd say it's good fortune that they want to come back, making it an easier decision for you/your company than when hiring someone new.
  • Question... I was recently laid off from a fortune 50 company to go to a start up.   The start up just went under so I am laid off the 2nd time this year.   I have been posting for recs at my old company but have not heard anything.  I know somtimes posting for a rec gets lost in the recruiters email, and in the hiring managers email, plus alot of people were laid off so there is  a good pool of known candidates.  That said, how do you find out for sure that you are listed as elligable for rehire?   Is there a consumer right to view your hr file to make sure it is accurate?    I was a good employee that was liked by my bosses.   One of my supervisors was also laid off.  

when they lay off employees can they look at other things like your health claims?   I am just currious what is legal and what is just my mind playing tricks on me. 

thanks for your expertise.

• Hi Seymour

Some states have laws that require employers to allow employees and former employees access to their personnel files and may even require that the employee be permitted to have copies of the documents. In addition, some states require employers to provide terminated employees with service letters that spell out dates of employment and reason for termination. However, in other states there are no laws or regulations and employers are free to set their own policies. You might try calling HR at your old company and ask if they received your resume and also ask if you are considered by the company to be eligible for rehire--you could also ask to see your personnel file. If you have real concerns about descrimination related to health claims, you might want to talk to an attorney.