Offer Letters

I am wanting to get best practices regarding putting a "bonus potential" in an offer letter. I have been told, even with the language in the letter stating the bonus is only a possibility, candidates still read into it that it is part of the income for the year. For those that use offer letters, do you put this in the offer?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Welcome to the forum!

As a gov't entity we don't offer bonuses, but just speaking for myself I would be very disappointed if I anticipated a bonus and didn't get it, whereas, I would be thrilled if I got one unexpectedly.
  • Unfortunately, I've learned that people tend to take "there's a possibility you'll receive a bonus" to mean "we promise you'll get a bonus". I would leave it out to avoid any assumptions, and then if/when they do get a bonus, it'll be a pleasant surprise!
  • Is the bonus potential based on their own work or your organization's success? If it is completely up to them to earn the bonus, then put it in. State that they have to meet certain criteria, then state it again. If it is not in their control then leave it out. Other employees will discuss and share that info with them after they come on board.
  • edited August 2015 PMVote Up0Vote Down
    I am wanting to get best practices regarding putting a "bonus potential" in an offer letter. I have been told, even with the language in the letter stating the bonus is only a possibility, candidates still read into it that it is part of the income for the year. For those that use offer letters, do you put this in the offer? 

Your first post! Welcome to the Forum. :welcome:

Sharon