On-Line Background Checks

I'm not sure where this question belongs.

My agency is a small non-profit agency. Our funding sources (ie Head Start) require background checks. We use L1 Enrollment (Morpho Trust) for our fingerprints. However, it's a timely process. We have found that we can do an on-line background check with a more extensive fingerprint background pending and the applicant can start work conditionally.

We are running into brick walls trying to find a trustable on-line background search. We aren't looking for free. We know those can't be trusted. We've entered people with known convictions and they don't show up. We want one we have to pay. But being that we're a small non-profit, we can't pay an arm and a leg.

Does anyone here have any resources for reliable but not expensive on-line record checks?

Thanks!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You definitely get what you pay for, but in general I think a lot of companies will work with you to develop packages based on your own unique needs. Sometimes building up an ala carte package will be just the ticket. Also, check with your payroll provider and benefits broker - many of them are beginning to offer their own services.

We currently work with HireRight and are pretty pleased. Good luck!
  • Switching from Verifications Inc. to ADP saved us a ton of money, delivered better results, and cut our turnaround time in half. ADP is our "cradle-to-grave" HRIS, but their background check service is literally the ONLY part of their program that is solid. Whoever they bought it from did a great job setting it up. :)
  • Frank's right, ADP does an awesome job on background checks. It's the one thing I miss from them!
  • I really like ADP for payroll, so when they offered me a great discount to try their background checks several years ago, I tried it but ended up going back to our original company because I didn't like it. It took longer to get the results back from ADP than it does from the company we've used for years, and in the end, even though it was a bit less expensive, I didn't think it was worth the savings to have to wait longer for the results.
  • Who are you using? Verifications Inc. was so slow, maybe that's the main reason ADP looks good (and the price is less than half what Verifications Inc was charging). If there's somebody even better, I wouldn't mind taking a look at them.
  • cnghrcnghr 719 Posts
    edited August 2015 PMVote Up0Vote Down
    Who are you using? Verifications Inc. was so slow, maybe that's the main reason ADP looks good (and the price is less than half what Verifications Inc was charging). If there's somebody even better, I wouldn't mind taking a look at them.

We use Rexus, and have for at least ten years. They aren't online, we scan & e-mail them a form, but the turnaround time is usually really quick, less than two days in most cases. That includes federal and state criminal records, SSN verification, and motor vehicle records if applicable. If we are having them check in multiple states or under several different last names, it takes a little bit longer, but so far in all the years we've used them I don't think it's ever taken longer than 3 - 4 days, and that was just for somebody who had a criminal rap sheet about a mile long!