I want to hear your stories!

Hello HR practitioners,

I'm working on a couple of articles for the HR Hero Line ezine found on the HRHero.com website and would like your input.

One article is on your experiences with "helicopter parents." Have you dealt with parents of employees or applicants contacting you or someone at your organization on behalf of their child? Maybe Dad thinks Junior should get better pay and benefits, or maybe Mom tries to sit in on a job interview to help her child make a case for getting hired. I'd like to hear your anecdotes as well as how you handled the situation.

On a completely different topic, I'd like to hear any unusual reasons you've heard for employees quitting. I saw a survey recently in which employers related stories about an employee who quit because he didn't like the office carpet, another who quit to go on a reality TV show, and someone else who left a job to climb Mount Everest. Let me know the unusual stories you've heard. I'm also interested in your ideas on what's most important in reducing turnover. Is it more about hiring carefully, or keeping pay competitive, or offering attractive perks, or what?

I look forward to hearing your stories. Thanks for your help.