Gainfully Employed

What does the term "gainfully employed" mean in reference to OAC 3333-10-1. We have a new hire, from out of state, that has accepted a position (approved by our Board) and provided permanent Ohio residency. They will not begin working until 8/1 but we require schooling prior to 8/1 at a state university. They want to charge out of state tuition for this employee. Can anyone shed any light on this? I appreciate your help.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would look to the definitions section of that particular regulation for further guidance (sorry, not familiar with it myself), but in general, "gainfully employed" means that you are currently working for a wage. From the little you've written in your post, I'm guessing this individual would not be considered gainfully employed unless they were physically working hours for which they would be paid prior to 8/1.
  • Can you or the ee in question contact the University and find out what they consider gainfully employed to be and then explain the employment situation to them to see if it will meet their policies?