Use or Misuse of Vactation days???

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't think there would be anything to prevent that. However, I am not familiar with NM state law or policies for its public employees.
  • Is this an ongoing situation or isolated?
    We are public sector and have a policy that says all outside employment must be reported and can not interfer with employment here.
    That having been said, I have no doubt there has been occasion that an employee has used a vacation day to work a second job.
    If it was an isolated incident and they have the time on the books, we might just let the ee know we were aware.
    If it was a weekly event we would address. .
  • We are a public employer and have a policy regarding secondary employment. We do not prohibit it; but it must be approved by the department director as not being in conflict with our employment. Many of our employees (police, firefighters, etc.) work varied shifts that provide them several consecutive days off (e.g., one day on/two days off; 3 days on/4days off/4 days on/3 days off). Generally, we would allow the employee to have a second job. However, there are some things to think about. We do not allow the employee to use sick leave if they have an on-the-job injury that occurred at the other employer. We also would specifically need to approve their continued work at the other employer while on FMLA from us. As you can see, there are litle quirks that make it interesting.
  • Any prohibition would probably be policy related, not statutory.
  • Thanks to each of you for your great responses. I appreciate your expert help when things come up in the HR community!
    JW
This discussion has been closed.