Office Sabotage

I just finished reading[URL="http://blogs.hrhero.com/oswaldletters/2011/05/26/eproductivity-wounded-in-employee-feud-crossfire/"] Dan's latest post on his blog [I]The Oswald Letters[/I] [/URL]where he addresses employees who don't get along with each other. Towards the end of the post, he asks:
[INDENT]So what do you do when you have two employees — both talented contributors — who can’t stand each other but their jobs require them to work together? You can’t make them like each other, but you can demand that they find a way to work together productively. And if they either actively or passively refuse?

[/INDENT]Personally, I've never worked in a office where employees dislike for each other actually hurt their work. Sure, there have been plenty of people I didn't like, but I've never seen it cause a huge problem. In his post, Dan says he's seen employee dislike degenerate into sabotage.

Have you ever had to deal with an employee feud that got out of hand? How do you handle it?

Celeste

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have this exact situation happening at our company. As to the answer to it....at this point, that IS the million dollar question. It's something we are working on every day. I don't know that I agree or disagree with Dan's answer to this situation, which is, one or both employees need to go. I think this approach has definite merits, but I think it also is based on the assumption that people are unchanging, and I'm not sure I buy into that.
  • Wow! My life this week. We have this at one of our satellite offices. Only 5 people in the office, but two of them are really struggling to play nice. Come Monday, one is being moved to the corporate office. Will be doing the same job, but will report to the division head as opposed to report to the manager of the satellite office. Wish us luck!
  • During my career, I have dealt with several instances of employees "hating" each other. My favorite will go down in my memoirs as "The Great Donut Throwing Incident." The two employees worked in the same department, but on different floors. Employee A's job included delivering mail to the other offices in the department. One day, when Employee A was delivering the mail to Employee B's office, she saw a tray of donuts, so she took one. Employee B immediately verbally attacked her and said the donuts were not for her. Employee A put the half-eaten donut back on the tray and left the office. Employee B picked up the half-eaten donut and followed Employee A down the hall and up the stairs, yelling at her the whole time; and then threw the donut at Employee A. (Just because people are in their 40's or 50's does not mean they are adults.)
  • Let me lob a pseudo-sexist hand grenade into the discussion...

Of the productivity-killing feuds you've seen over the years, have ALL of them involved female employees? Because all of mine have. I am aware of a situation that occurred here several years before my arrival that involved two men, but I wasn't here for it. It's not something I've seen in person, at any place I've been.
  • Uh Frank, didn't you also want to tell us that though it was two men there was a female at the bottom of it?
  • Actually, our problem is 100% men. And not just 2 men - two whole departments made up of men.
  • The worst I've seen have always been women, but then our workforce is 75% women so that isn't too surprising. It's my experience that most banks & credit unions seem to have a predominantly female workforce, which could also explain Frank's experience.

Most of our feuds have involved subtle, passive-aggressive behaviors but I have seen it turn into sabotage. I think the most creative one was the supervisor who was feuding with the other supervisor in her department, so she went around encouraging all of that person's employees to look for other jobs and quit. She would also call me and drop little "hints" that the other person was doing a terrible job. I think she thought that if she could talk everyone into leaving, and also get HR on her side, then upper management would think it was all the other person's fault and fire her.
  • Here are a couple of ways we have handled these types of conflicts:

1) Use our EAP for mediation with the parties.
    2) Have them sign an agreement (last-chance if necessary) that their behavior cannot negatively affect the workplace or their coworkers.

Sometimes successful, sometimes not!
  • [quote=cnghr;722435]The worst I've seen have always been women, but then our workforce is 75% women so that isn't too surprising. It's my experience that most banks & credit unions seem to have a predominantly female workforce, which could also explain Frank's experience. [/quote]

Thanks for saving Frank, cnghr. 90% of my workforce are men, so the majority of my conflicts involve men. And here I thought it was because little boys just never really grow up.:angel:
  • [quote=joannie;722447]Thanks for saving Frank, cnghr. 90% of my workforce are men, so the majority of my conflicts involve men. And here I thought it was because little boys just never really grow up.:angel:[/quote]

Oh, I agree about little boys not growing up, Joannie...I've seen more than enough silliness and frat-boy type behavior out of the guys around here to reinforce that, although luckily it doesn't generally turn into conflict or feuding.

As a woman, what disappoints me is how many women I've worked with haven't really grown up either. The petty, nasty, "mean girl" type behavior that should have ended in junior high or high school is still alive and well. One supervisor was venting about the amount of time she had to spend dealing with squabbles or outright feuds among her all-female department and she said "I'd just like to supervise grown-ups for a change." I reminded her that every one of the women who worked for her was over 45 years old!