Employee w personal issues

We're a small company and in the 10 yrs I've been with this group there have been so few issues with employees that I need some guidance.

This afternoon a program manager came into my office and told me that a valued member of his team has been having personal issues at home. The employees wife is being treated for alcoholism, she had an affair etc. The employee has sought counseling and his work performance has not been impacted by any of the personal problems but today the employee found out that the man his wife had an affair with may submit an application to our company. The manager didn't give the potential candidate's name but he did tell me that the employee said that if we hired this person he would quit. He said he couldn't work with this man and with all the meetings and company functions and being a small company it would be impossible to keep them separate. The manager doesn't want to lose the employee and said this employee is critical to his team.

When an online application is submitted to our website all of the hiring managers receive an email notification. My concern is that if the manager sees an application come in from this person he may tell other managers not to consider this person for a position. He came out and said that he wanted to do just that, advise other hiring managers not to interview or consider this person should he submit an application. Any advice on how to tread with this issue?

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The first thing I would do is change the fact that all hiring managers get an e-mail when an application is submitted. It would seem that information should not be shared that widely.

Other than that, I would like to think I would let the application run its course in hopes this person does not turn out to be the best candidate for the job. If he did, I'd have to think further on how to handle that, but I probably wouldn't waste too much time developing a course of action now. In other words, don't make a problem until there truly is one.
  • Chehog,

Your first post! Welcome to the Forum. :welcome:

Sharon

PS: I agree with Cheryl S.
  • Since all of what you have heard from the Manager is third party I would not assume anything. The fact is there are always two sides to every story, and the truth is somewhere in the middle.
    The application should go through the normal procedures, and if the candidate is chosen for an interview he should be given the same consideration as the other applicants chosen for an interview.
    I would advise telling the Manager that he is not to divulge any of his employee's personal information/story to the other Managers and let him know there will be repercussions (discipline) if he chooses to do so.
    If the supposed "affair" did happen and you do choose to hire the supposed partner in the "affair" all you can do is advise the employee (and I would have his Manager let him know) that you trust he will not bring the drama of his personal life to work.
    If he chooses to quit, so be it. It isn't up to us to determine his life choices, or what happens in his personal life when he isnt at work. Everyone is replaceable. I don't do welll with ultimatums from employees.
    That's how I would proceed.
  • Boy, this is a fascinating situation. There are so many different things to consider and you could take a variety of different approaches.

I wouldn't disagree with anything the other posters have mentioned. I would just add that the employee's behavior and emotions are totally understandable if the circumstances are as he has described them. So before you judge the employee too harshly, I think its good to consider that.

That said... I agree with lpierce in that you cannot allow the employee to dictate who you do or do not hire. You would have to evaluate the candidate objectively.

THAT said... I think you would be foolish not to consider the ramifications of this decision on your (up until now) harmonious little organization by hiring a guy who may have cheated with another valued employees wife. Companies have been ripped asunder by MUCH less than that.

I think if there is any merit to these accusations (i.e. its not normal for this employee to go around accusing people of sleeping with his wife) I would really think twice about hiring him into your organization.

Its one thing to be "fair" from an HR perspective and its another thing to be stupid and insensitive to your loyal, long term employees.
  • lpierce,

Welcome to the Forum and and thanks for your first post!

Sharon

:welcome:
  • Thank you all so much for your feedback. We've been very fortunate over the years and have been able to maintain a close family atmosphere despite steady growth so it makes situations like this difficult to address.

My primary concern was leaving our company vulnerable to defamation, libel, slander claims if this person were to submit a resume online and then hear that he may have been black listed because of his personal relationships. I sympathize with the employee and know this is an emotionally charged situation. The manager mentioned the potential candidates ethics but honestly we have no way of knowing what the person knew about the employees maritial status when he entered into the "affair". For all I know he may have been under the impression the employee and his wife were separated.

Since the manager didn't give me the person's name I won't know when or if he applies. If he does apply and the manager comes to me again I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
  • I would not let the employee dictate things, and I would also make sure everyone realized that applicant was not the best candidate for the position.
  • Sorry to get off topic but I have to ask Frank about the Skype icon on his post. How does that work, Frank? Can you clue me in?

Sharon
  • How does Skype work or how does the icon work?
  • Hmmm. I'm guessing the icon works by being clicked so let's talk about Skype in general. What does one need to get started with that?

Sharon
  • You can download the Skype app and be up and running in a few minutes. You can use it to make PC-to-PC "calls" for free, or you can pay a premium to call from or to a landline or cellphone.

Most people who use Skype use it for the built-in videochat. It isn't required, but it takes Skype beyond your basic Facebook chat, for example. Just hook up a webcam and go through a couple of easy configuration steps. You can see them, they can see you... for better or worse. :)