Out of Cycle Salary Increase

We have an assistant manager who is making less than her employee (sr. sales associate). We want to bring her salary up because of the deficiency, but she is currently on a performance improvement plan. Should she not get the raise because of poor performance?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This post should really be in another Forum, Wage & Hour to get more responses.

In my opinion, if an emplloyee is having difficulty with their performance, giving them an increase during their improvement plan would be sending them the wrong message. I would wait until their performance improves dramatically before I would award them.
  • I agree with ritaanz. Employees who are currently on a performance improvement plan are ineligible for raises/incentives at our company. Wait to see if she "gets with the program," then award the increase based on merit after she proves herself.
  • [SIZE=4][SIZE=2]I'm with Still Needs Coffee and Ritaanz. If an employee is on an improvement plan then I'd hold off on any increase.

Aside from that, a Sr. Sales Associate making more than an Asst. Mgr. isn't necessarily out of line, particularly if what's pushing the sales associate's salary higher is commissions. If the sales associate was making more than his manager, I'd be more concerned. If it is base pay, however, then I think there may be an issue.

Also, consider the salary ranges for both positions. If the sales associate has years of experience or seniority and is at the top of the range for that position and the asst. mgr. is less experienced and/or has less seniority and is at the lower end of the range for that position, then there may be less of an issue.

Just some things to consider.

Sharon[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]
  • When I think of the best sales people I ever employed, they all probably made more than their managers.
  • Good point... we too have several sales people that make more, much more in some caes, than their managers. The sales staff are on a small base salary and the majority of their wages come from the commissions they receive for making or exceeding their sales goals. While the managers are mostly paid a regular salary with only a few, if any, commission dollars.
  • Band, welcome to the forum.

First, I believe you have received some good advice here. Don't make any changes while the employee is on a PIP. It will probably come back to bite you.

Second, as soon as the PIP has been completed do a market survey. All employees should be paid a fair market rate. If you do so for all your employees, then you can always be assured of paying fairly (and lawfully). Just keep in mind the comments above regarding sales commissions and where employees are in a salary range (you said it was senior sales associate, which says to me more experience).

Good luck!

Nae
  • [QUOTE=Still Need Coffee;722013]I agree with ritaanz. Employees who are currently on a performance improvement plan are ineligible for raises/incentives at our company. Wait to see if she "gets with the program," then award the increase based on merit after she proves herself.[/QUOTE]

Is the issue MERIT/PERFORMANCE or Nae mentioned. .market inequity? I think they are clearly 2 different issues. Otherwise, I agree with others.

It's not just sales. Hell, almost every senior FF in this City makes more than I do with OT. I think it falls under the "Who said life was fair rule?"
  • [quote=sonny;722029]It's not just sales. Hell, almost every senior FF in this City makes more than I do with OT. I think it falls under the "Who said life was fair rule?"[/quote]

OT? You get paid OT! I haven't been paid OT since 1977.:cry: