One more time...

A Federal judge has ruled the entire health care reform act "void" as the individual mandate violates the constitution and it cannot be separated from the rest of the act. The NYT tried to put a pro health reform spin on the story by pointing out the ruling evens the score at 2-2. There have been four suits heard and two rulings against the act and two in favor. But of course, it is the two findings against the act which matter, as they will prevent reform from being implemented unless overturned on appeal.
Never a dull moment...

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It certainly looks like this issue is going to end up before the U.S. Supreme Court.

Here's a link to an HR Hero post that provides more information about yesterday's decision: [URL="http://bit.ly/eDvlwj"]http://bit.ly/eDvlwj[/URL]
  • The case should go to the Supreme Court so we can move on.

There are other areas of disagreement similar to this one -- being compelled to pay taxes, get a driver's license or pay into SS.

I am big on personal liberty, BUT/AND also recognize that our health care system is a mess. Each month when I review our company's health insurance premium !!!.

Lucky me -- will be eligible for Medicare in a few years.
  • I have to wonder... How many of the governors and state attorneys general who are fighting the 'individual mandate' helped implement mandatory auto liability insurance in their states?
  • I don't think it's the same thing Frank. Auto liability is to protect others, not you, if you are in an accident. HCR conceptually will benefit everyone (healthier people and fewer using state paid care so less taxes), and ideally will help individuals take better care of themselves.

Of course, no one has proved it. Statistics show a large portion of the uninsured have access to coverage (including state aid) but choose not to use it. At this point all we can do is sit back and wait to see how it will all shake out.
  • They should have left the individual mandate out anyway... it was only included to make the opposition happy.
  • [QUOTE=NaeNae55;721549]I don't think it's the same thing Frank. Auto liability is to protect others, not you, if you are in an accident. HCR conceptually will benefit everyone (healthier people and fewer using state paid care so less taxes), and ideally will help individuals take better care of themselves.

Of course, no one has proved it. Statistics show a large portion of the uninsured have access to coverage (including state aid) but choose not to use it. At this point all we can do is sit back and wait to see how it will all shake out.[/QUOTE]

But the individual mandate [B]is[/B] to protect others... to protect them from having to pay for the uninsured.
  • [QUOTE=ACU Frank;721551]But the individual mandate [B]is[/B] to protect others... to protect them from having to pay for the uninsured.[/QUOTE]

Let's hope it works. It seems to me we will all be paying, one way or another. Either by paying higher provider bills (to make up for those uninsureds who can't pay for services), or through taxes (medicaid), or by paying taxes for bigger government to oversee this and chase down those who don't pay. I don't see this as a way to reduce any expenses, just reallocate them. The only possible positive I see is getting healthcare for those who can't afford good care (or somestimes ANY care). As I said, let's hope it works.
  • "The only possible positive I see is getting healthcare for those who can't afford good care (or somestimes ANY care)."

That would be an adequate enough goal (IMHO). Those who have jobs and access to health care can not always appreciate what it would be like not to have it available. I saw a TV program about normal Americans without health care services, and it broke my heart to see people lined up for hours just for a chance to get treatment of chronic conditions, sicknesses, tooth decay, etc. Just a 15 minute visit with a physician meant so much!

Additionally, I eventually think insurers must be more realistic with the premiums they charge. Just with the passage of the health care law, this year's premium increase was way more reasonable. Even those with insurance have little regard for the high cost employers pay to provide insurance (at the mercy of the insurance business). Using a high deductible plan has made the average employee more conscious of the costs of medicines and visits. That's going to help in the long run.

To those whose objection is that "they" shouldn't mandate insurance coverage for everyone, I say go visit the emergency rooms and see the non-mandate we are all paying for.
  • Virginia is trying to get the Supreme Court to go ahead and consider the constitutionality challenge to the health care reform law before an appeals court hears the matter. See [URL="http://articles.cnn.com/2011-02-09/politics/health.care.challenge_1_high-court-health-care-virginia-officials?_s=PM:POLITICS"]http://articles.cnn.com/2011-02-09/politics/health.care.challenge_1_high-court-health-care-virginia-officials?_s=PM:POLITICS[/URL]

However, many parties have speculated that the Supreme Court will probably let the case take its normal course.