Request Copies of Evaluation

An employee has requested a copy of all their evaluations since they have been on their current position. Apparently they had a disagreement with their supervisor and now they want copies of their evaluations. I can not find anything that specfically indicates that we have the right to deny their requests. But I have read where these types of documents have been used against employers by EEOC and courts of law. I need advice on this issue.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • First, check your state law regarding employee access to their personnel files. Some states require you to provide copies to the employees.

My state does not require it, so, in this case, I would allow the employee to sit in my office and review the evaluations, but it is our practice not to provide copies of anything in the personnel file. All materials are considered company property.
  • We provide copies at the time of the evaluation.

We would probably go ahead and give the employee copies. We wouldn't want to give the impression that we are hiding anything. However, we would be careful about giving only the copies asked for and make sure we knew what was going out.
  • I'm with Nae. While we have to provide copies of personnel file documents in our state, we have a policy of giving an employee a copy of anything they have actually signed off on. It's just good business.
  • Same here.... we provide copies of the evaluaiton form for the employee at the time of the evaluation. So, I would provide an additional copy if requested by the employee. Keep in mind that if this should become an issue (litigated) one of the first things their attorney will do is to subpoena their personnel file.
  • If your signature is on it, I'll give you a copy. But that review you refused to sign? Ha!
  • Frank, you just hit on one of my pet peeves - employees refusing to sign reviews, disciplinary forms, etc. We even have a statement that CLEARLY says your signature does not mean that you agree with the contents of the document, only that you [B]received [/B]it. Yet people still refuse to sign. Im my opinion, it just makes you seem like more of a pain in the @$$ by refusing.

Argh. ::angryface::
  • I think I've told this story before, but that never stops me...

About 10 years ago, I had an employee (major PITA) refuse to sign a write-up. I patiently explained that signing it only acknowledged that the write-up was discussed, not that she agreed with it. She still refused.

We had a line on it labeled "Refused to sign" and I signed and dated that line. I then handed it to her, and told her she got the honor of being the witness. She signed and dated, and it took probably 10 seconds for her to figure out what I had done to her.