New Health Insurance Rates

M. Lee Smith Publishers' new health insurance plan year will start soon. Our rates went up by a little more than 8% this year. Our owner, Dan Oswald, said the company decided to not pass any of the increase on to employees or change the plan in any way because we have not been able to give any pay increases.

Is anyone else getting ready to start a new plan year soon? How have your rates changed from last year?

Anyone want to make a prediction about how you think insurance rates will change now that health care reform legislation has passed?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • All I have to say is kudos on the 8% increase - I would kill for that!

We were hit with 16% last year, industry standard was 12%. I'm anticipating 12-14% next year (January renewal).
  • We were expecting at least a 10% on health, but were ecstatic to receive a 7%. Disability coverage is another story; rates increased 160%. No, that is not a misprint. They went from $3.25 per $500 coverage to $8.45.:cry:
  • 43.9%.

We have only 40 people on the plan, but in the last year we had:

3 diagnosed with cancer
    2 with back surgery
    1 with knee surgery and foot surgery
    1 with unexplained seizures

This refutes the conventional wisdom that the problem lies with young pregnant females - we didn't have a single pregnancy last year. Each of those issues I listed above were experienced salaried managers, as well.
  • Initial estimate 16% unless we change our plan options (still have an HMO) We are meeting in a couple weeks and anticipate between 3-9% at the end. Our experience has also been bad with multiple employees with cancer.

last couple years we have been REALLY fortunate with 0 and 2% increase.