Employee Appreciation

It seems like every year I end up asking my fellow forumites for input regarding our Employee Appreciation Day in April. We have done a number of things, but the one event stood out with the employees. They still talk about it and a poll last year showed that they would like to do it again.

The event was Movie Day. We rented Miracle (about the 1980 Olympic hockey team). We had pizza beforehand, and popcorn and soda during the movie. Each employee also got a popcorn bucket with microwaveable popcorn, a [I]bottle[/I] of coke, candy, and a inexpensive DVD from Walmart.

I would like to do the same thing this year, but I need to figure out what movie before I take it to my boss. A movie about teamwork would be best, but I also have to make sure it is appropriate for the office (which, darn!, lets out The Replacements).

I am currently considering Remember the Titans and We are Marshall.

Can you please give me some suggestions?

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • How about a memo:

"Dear staff member, the HR department would like you to know you are appreciated.**

**Please note that this general sense of appreciation should not be misconstrued as a favorable comment on any individual staff member's performance or lack of. Likewise, if we are planning to terminate the employment of any individual staff member in the coming weeks (or days), this memo of appreciation has no significance or relevance to the abovementioned termination."

Otherwise, if you feel a movie would be more appropriate you should get "Cool Runnings".
  • What a true show of sincere appreciation! Alas, I feel sure my boss would be reluctant to put such appreciation in writing, at least, in writing the way you did.
  • i'm sorry I didn't see this any sooner, and I assume your Employee Appreciation Day has been planned and perhaps even executed. So, Nae, what did you choose?

[QUOTE=NaeNae55;719489]It seems like every year I end up asking my fellow forumites for input regarding our Employee Appreciation Day in April. We have done a number of things, but the one event stood out with the employees. They still talk about it and a poll last year showed that they would like to do it again.

The event was Movie Day. We rented Miracle (about the 1980 Olympic hockey team). We had pizza beforehand, and popcorn and soda during the movie. Each employee also got a popcorn bucket with microwaveable popcorn, a [I]bottle[/I] of coke, candy, and a inexpensive DVD from Walmart.

I would like to do the same thing this year, but I need to figure out what movie before I take it to my boss. A movie about teamwork would be best, but I also have to make sure it is appropriate for the office (which, darn!, lets out The Replacements).

I am currently considering Remember the Titans and We are Marshall.

Can you please give me some suggestions?[/QUOTE]
  • The event will be this coming Tuesday.

I asked the employees to choose from We Are Marshall, Remember the Titans, Rudy and Hoosiers. We Are Marshall won. A few employees came to me privately and suggested Blind Side. So I am renting both and will hold them up and ask employees which one they want to watch.

The video store didn't have the traditional bucket for popcorn, but it is close. I also bought some candy for it, and we already have the pop. I am going this weekend to buy inexpensive movies, perhaps some more microwavable popcorn (the bucket comes with one), and some pretty paper to make it a bit more festive. I also plan to go to Topsys and get a big can of popcorn to enjoy during the movie. We are ordering pizza to have at 12:30 (and some dessert pizza) and the movie starts at 1:00.

The only other thing the employees ever say they have really liked is going out for lunch. So Monday we will close the office for a bit and all go out.

I hope they enjoy it. I know they are already happy that we made both days dress down days. I'll let you know how it comes out next week.
  • You could show Brian's Song, if you want to see your male co-workers cry.
  • Wont' work. I won't be able to see them through my tears.
  • As an alumnus of Marshall University...excellent choice!!
  • Ok. How do you have a great Employee Appreciation Event for 14 employees on $250?

1) Family Video - had a square tub with a packet of microwavable popcorn for $1.69. Also had large movie size candy for the same price. Bought 14 of each (7 kinds of candy).

2) Walmart has $5 DVDs. Bought 14. Titles were old or more recent. Varied from 2008 Semi-Pro (Will Ferrell) to Stuart Little to Sleeping with the Enemy, Viruousity, etc. Did not buy any duplicates.

3) We already had some canned pop leftover from some recent training (helped alot).

4) Party Time had some great clear paper with gold stars I used to make up a movie packet.

5) Made 14 movie packets (popcorn tub with DVD, candy and pop inside amongst the star paper.)

6) Stopped at Topsys and bought 6 gallon container of popcorn.

7) Ordered pizza with breadsticks and dessert.

Pizza arrived, employees came in, packets distributed and employees spent time eating, visiting, and trading candy or movies. We had voted on We Are Marshall, but I also had the Blind Side. Employees opted to watch Blind Side. Topsys popcorn was eaten while we drank soda and watched the movie. When the movie was over some stayed to help me clean up. I got lots of kudos and one employee even hugged me.

SUCCESS!!!!! Total cost: $244.97. Yippee!!!
  • Glad to hear it was such a big success, Nae, and for such a reasonable price!
  • Nae, you are a Superstar! Good job.
  • Nae, It sounds like you were able to execute your employee
    appreciation day well.
  • I think you did a wonderful job Nae. It sounds like a great time.
  • Nae,

I think your event was a great idea. Do you have a formal recognition and/or appreciation program or is it more of an ad hock situation?

Sharon
  • We do a years of service recognition program that is set out by our owner company, but employee appreciation tends to be more ad-hoc.

Our President and CEO writes memos to employees whenever they go above and beyond the call of duty. She also occassionally brings an employee to the attention of others by recognizing the type of work they do. For instance, every once in awhile she puts out a companywide memo recognizing me for one of the jobs I do. One time it will be during Payroll Administrators Week (and she tells everyone to say thank you for the hard work I do on payroll...yada yada yada), the next time it might have to do with Purchasing. I wear alot of hats around here so I expect to retire before she runs out of ways to publicly thank me. :)