another COBRA ARRA question

Ok. The subsidy has been extended to March 31st and from 9 months to 15 months. My question has to do with the 2nd part.

An employee who qualifies for the subsidy in September will get the subsidy through March, or for 15 months from September 1st?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I believe it would be 15 months from September 1st. Here's an excerpt from the DOL ARRA fact sheet:

"Generally, the maximum period of continuation coverage is measured from the date of the original qualifying event (for Federal COBRA, this is generally 18 months). However, ARRA, as amended by TEA, provides that the 15 month premium reduction period begins on the first day of the first period of coverage for which an individual is “assistance eligible.” This is of particular importance to individuals who experience an involuntary termination following a reduction of hours. Only individuals who have additional periods of COBRA (or state continuation) coverage remaining after they become assistance eligible are entitled to the premium reduction."

It really is quite confusing though - am I reading this wrong???
  • Joannie sent me a boatload of info on it. After reading it I came to the same conclusion you did. It is 15 months from September 1st. Just wanted to make sure before I send out some information to the participant. Thank you for your help.

And thank [I]you[/I], Joannie.
  • I'm just telling everyone I fire they get the subsidy until further notice.

:mad: