Prescription Drugs/Operating Machinery

We are hearing rumors that some employees may be operating machinery while under the influence of prescription drugs that instruct against such operation. No employees have exhibited physical problems, and none have come forward, only the rumors. Advice?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It depends on how vague or specific the 'rumors' are. Is an employee telling you that another employee is doing this, or are the rumors vague? If it is specific information, I think you need to investigate. If really vague, then I would communicate your policies again and make sure everyone is aware and has signed off that they understand them. (You also might review them to make sure they are adequate.)

I think I would also do a little extra watching to see if I saw any evidence that something was really going on. You don't need to persecute innocent employees because some gossip got out of hand, but you also shouldn't even think about taking a chance that someone could get hurt. The minimum you should do is communicate your no-drug policies. And if there is any evidence that this is actually happening, then you need to investiage thoroughly.

Good luck!

Nae
  • I seem to remember discussing a similar situation on the forum a few years ago (back before Need Coffee became Still Need Coffee...ah, those were the days) - have you tried searching the archives?
  • Be sure that your policy expands the definition of "drugs" and includes that equipment operators may not be under the influence of any prescribed medications that instruct against such operation.
  • [quote=ljackson1;718895]Be sure that your policy expands the definition of "drugs" and includes that equipment operators may not be under the influence of any prescribed medications that instruct against such operation.[/quote]

Hi, Glad to see your post and welcome to the forum.

:welcome: