Religious rights

I have a current situation about employees using religious word in their emails - such as "God Bless" "Be a Blessing for God" "Your friend in God", etc. Both of these employees are in the same department and just starting ending their emails with these captions.

I now have another employee who is "offended" by their emails and wants me to make them stop.

Anybody ever had an issue like this? Words of wisdom. The last place I worked for 15 years was a faith-based organization and this was not an issue.

Thanks!

Comments

• 34 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Since someone has complained, I would ask them to stop and keep their closings to personal emails or outside of work.
  • We moved to a standardized e-mail signature for everyone. It wasn't for that reason, but it would solve your problem.

I think the recipient who complains about something like this is a bigger problem than e-mail signatures, though.
  • Pgaughan, did the person making the complaint explain why they were offended?

Have you reviewed your electronic communication policy? That's where I would start.

A knee jerk reaction would be to go tell the e-mailers to stop but you will simply have two offended people instead of one.

I am tempted to suggest that this is one of those situations where more could be gained by getting everyone together and letting them discuss it than by issuing an edict from HR.

When people have to face eachother, its amazing what can happen.

Amen.
  • I don't think it's knee jerk at all, if it is approached correctly..

They might have taken offense as perhaps they feel it is not appropriate in the workplace.

And the number of people we as HR professionals offend should enter into a solution equation?

I am not opposed to a pow-wow after the fact if it makes everyone feel warm and fuzzy.
  • So whatever someone feels is not appropriate in a workplace should be immediately stopped? Sounds knee jerk to me.

Employees will make HR the hatchet man for all their petty little offenses if you want to let them.

I say its more productive and effective to get people talking to eachother and learning to settle their differences than hiding behind an e-mail sent to HR.

In the long run, its more effective than issuing edicts from on high.
  • We have a policy against proselytizing, but we don't define it in the policy. If an employee was stopping by other employees' desks and spreading the gospel, I'd have an issue with it. But an e-mail signature... well, you can read it or not. It's like having a Bible, Torah, Koran, etc. left on a table in the break room. If that bothers you enough to raise a stink, there are probably other issues at hand.
  • I forgot to say this... Regardless of how you feel about the signature itself, I think Paul's right - you have to ask the complainer what it is about the signature they find offensive. There are a whole range of petty complaints people can make about each other... react to one without attempting to get at the root of it, and you'll find out just how many others there are.
  • [QUOTE=Paul in Cannon Beach;718839]So whatever someone feels is not appropriate in a workplace should be immediately stopped? Sounds knee jerk to me.

Where did I say WHATEVER some feels is not appropriate? This would seem to me to be religion related, not I don't like the color of her hair which would be whatever. .

Employees will make HR the hatchet man for all their petty little offenses if you want to let them.

????

I say its more productive and effective to get people talking to eachother and learning to settle their differences than hiding behind an e-mail sent to HR.

Talking is good, I agree. So you hold your meeting, and I the offended say I am atheist and your reference to God offends me and is not appropriate for the work place. You the offender, say this is my belief I don't mean to offend you but it is important to me to use the sign off. .What would you do then.

In the long run, its more effective than issuing edicts from on high.[/QUOTE]
    I agree, but talking doesn't always work and again it doesn't have to come off as an edict. .
  • Sorry, the post above appears confusing.

Also Paul, I may have missed it but I did not see where the original poster said the complaint came via email. .
  • The post doesn't say how the complaint was sent. I was just using that as an example of how some employees quickly fire off a complaint to HR and expect us to fix their problems rather than do the difficult work of actually talking to their coworkers about these kinds of sensitive issues.

Will talking help? There is no guarantee that it will. I think its a good starting point though.

Is it less offensive for someone to see an e-mail with the signature "God bless" than for a person of faith to hear "Oh my god! Traffic was horrible!"

Where do you draw the line? How much do you want to police the language and expressions of your employees? How sure are you that you are being fair and treating each group equally?

My point is rather than issuing policies that can often have unintended consequences (pleasing one person and angering ten others) lets get people to talk about how we can work together and accept the minor differences we may have in these essentially inconsequential matters.

I think there are forms of innappropriate religious expression in the workplace but these vague, generalized references to God don't cross that line (in my opinion anyways).

I might be the minority opinion on this and that's ok. Its an interesting discussion regardless.
  • If it were someone other than a Christian putting such a signature, would you be as quick to tell them to stop? It seems as though we try to protect the rights of other religions, but don't hesitate to tell Christians they need to "watch it." If someone signs off "Allah be with you" are you going to tell them to stop, or will you be afraid of infringing on their religious freedom?
  • The e-mailers could be Muslim, Jewish, Mormon, Christian, or fans of Eric Clapton. "God" is a vague, non specific term.

Which is why I have a hard time accepting that someone can be offended from something that is so generalized and relatively innoucuous.

Are they offended by "God bless you" when someone sneezes?
  • I could never figure out what sneezing had to do with God Bless You.
  • I have always heard that the origin dates back to the time when it was believed that if you were sick, you were probably involved in sin.
  • Paul, although I'm normally on the same page as you, I do disagree with this comment:

"Is it less offensive for someone to see an e-mail with the signature "God bless" than for a person of faith to hear "Oh my god! Traffic was horrible!""

While I'm a person of faith, I would be more offended by an e-mail signature, which to me has no business in the workplace, than by a commonly used phrase...I don't think it is our place to judge what is the most offensive, as we cannot possibly know how and what will offend an employee or customer. What goes in our e-mails reflects on the company - unless your company publicly acknowledges support of some religion, I wouldn't want religious references in e-mails that might possibly make its way to a prospective clients' inbox.

As to whether sitting and talking about it is the best course of action, or whether asking the e-mailers to remove their signature, to me it depends on your company culture, your policies, and your employees. For many things like this, when personal preference is involved, I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all answer. You know what's best for your company and how the employees will act - go with your gut.
  • It is complicated. That was my original point. A kneejerk reaction is to tell the e-mailers to stop mentioning "God" but I think you have to look at your existing policies, company culture, and what other types of expressions you allow before you take any action.

Personally, I find "Friend of God" a bit silly if not a little wacky sounding. But religious expression in the workplace is a complex issue and I think any organization ought to carefully research their policies or decisions before implementing them.
  • [QUOTE=plynnl;718847]I could never figure out what sneezing had to do with God Bless You.[/QUOTE]

It has long been believed that your heart stops and you are close to death when you sneeze. I read it somewhere that this is why people say, "God bless you" when you sneeze.
  • If that is true and because I have allergies and sneeze a lot, I must be very close to death. Not good.
  • Ok, pgaughan, you have heard from a few perspectives. So, what do you think you will do?
  • Paul, what was confusing about "Friend of God"? I assumed that meant she found Him through His Facebook page. Was that wrong?
  • I'm a Christian but I have a strong dislike for anything that feels hokey like Christian breathmints, bumper stickers, t-shirts, amusement parks, and slogans.

If you can't communicate the value of your beliefs through your example and the graciousness you extend to others, whats the point of a bumper sticker or an e-mail signature?
  • I generally don't mind bumper stickers and such, although I don't have any on my vehicle. I do have several Christian t-shirts, although I don't wear them often - due primarily to what is referred to in our family as "The Read The Book Incident", which ended with me holding hands and praying with a sweaty-palmed 70-year-old woman in the produce section of Walmart.
  • I hope pgaughan will post an update. Its one thing for us to debate this in a theoretical sense, and its another to have to deal with actual employees.
  • Some of these responses are really funny. Im still cracking up. My suggestion, have marketing create a company branded signature and background (hate pics of pple's kids and kittens). marketing sends out to staff as the approved email to use and that's it.

Should be professional and business only, that's what we pay folks for.
  • That's what we did, Carol. I still oppose the decision.

Our move didn't have much to do with the 'additional' comments made as part of the signature - there were some really nice saying that supported the business and allowed some sense of individuality. Our move had much more humble goals - to eliminate the misspellings, excessive use of pastels and scripts, and the animated gifs. I would have rather told everyone you can use your own signature until you violate a ban against misspellings, pastels, script, or animated gifs. But it's tough to push that argument when you have long-term employees in leadership positions identifying themselves as

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=palegreen][I]Branch Manger[/I][/COLOR][/FONT]
    \:D/
  • Branch Manager, yeah baaaaaby! (in Austin Power's voice)

Now I am wondering if Carol was laughing at the responses that were MEANT to be funny. Only Carol knows I suppose.
  • I learned something important a long time ago, Paul. Once you learn to embrace your inner buffoon, it no longer matters what she's laughing at... She's laughing, and that's good.
  • So tempting! BUT..I will not be mean and respond. I will not be mean and respond. I will not be...
  • Its cute that Nae thinks she is capable of being mean. Its like a nun saying "fiddlesticks" and thinking she is cussing a blue streak.