FMLA turning into ADA

I have an employee who has been out on FMLA due to an accident (which occured outside of work) that left him in a wheel chair. FMLA is coming to an end and I have to move to the next step. Any suggestions, forms, letters, checklist of what I should be doing now? We really want to help him as much as we can.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Welcome! What is your next step? Do you have policies? Here, we would allow the employee to 1) exhaust their sick and vacation time if they had not already done so and 2) apply for an unpaid medical leave of abscence. Do you think this ee will return?
  • Take a look at your job description. Will the employee be able to complete the essential job functions from a wheelchair? If so, you just need to put him back to work. If not, meet with the employee, go over the job description and essential duties and begin the necessary dialogue to determine what accommodations would be necessary to allow him to perform the essential duties. One you determine that, then you need to get with management to decide if the suggested accommodation does not create an undue hardship on the company.
  • I agree with above assuming the ee is attempting to return to work. . .I got the impression he was not. More facts please.