FMLA Leaves and Salary Increase

Actually, this is a two part question. We have someone who went out on maternity leave two months after hire, for six months. Our annual review process is in December, which means she will have been back for two months.

I know because of her short tenure she is not protected under FMLA, but my questions are:

How would you handle under the situation as described? Would you delay her salary increase, for six months, for example?

How should the situation be handled if she were eligible for FMLA? We give a standard merit increase to everyone except for those who get more or less, for performance or promotion reasons, is she entitled to that even though she has been out on FMLA leave? I think I remember reading that she would be.

Thanks,

Carol

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You must give someone on FMLA leave the same merit incease you would give to them if they didn't use leave. Anyone there long enough to receive FMLA, should have been there long enough to judge the size of their merit increase.

In your situation with a more recent hire, I would treat as if she has only been there 2 months at merit time. How would you normally handle if the employee was hired in October? Would you give them an increase at 6 months and then put them on the normal annual time frame, give them a partial increase, or would you make them wait for the next review period? I would treat this employee the same as you would someone hired in October.

Good luck!

Nae
  • Nae said it very well - this is exactly how I'd treat the FMLA and non-FMLA situation.
  • [QUOTE=NaeNae55;718250]
    In your situation with a more recent hire, I would treat as if she has only been there 2 months at merit time. How would you normally handle if the employee was hired in October? Would you give them an increase at 6 months and then put them on the normal annual time frame, give them a partial increase, or would you make them wait for the next review period? I would treat this employee the same as you would someone hired in October.

Good luck!

Nae[/QUOTE]

I think the equivalent would actually be four months == two months before leave and 2 months after leave. Such a person would likely receive a pro-rated increase.

Thanks for your help, everyone.
  • My bad! Did I mention my main job is as an accountant and HR stuff is secondary? Guess I didn't use my calculator. :o

Either way, glad you posted.