Medical Certification and Pregnancy

Some of the physicians are now requiring the employee to pay a $30.00 fee before they will complete the medical certification for FMLA. Do you make the employee pay the fee? What if it is for pregnancy?

At my wits' end!
Janice

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In my state, by statutue, if an employer requires a medical exam or certification, the employer must pay for it. So, you will want to check your state's laws regarding this issue. Absent a legal requirement, and unless you have a company policy that says otherwise, you would have no obligation to pay for it.
  • Now that is interesting. First, by law, you have to ask for certification. Then, by law, you are required to pay for it. What a wonderful billing opportunity for the medical providers. No reason not to bill if you are guaranteed by law to receive payment.

I guess technically you are not required to ask for certification. You could just let everyone off who says FMLA. Still, what a racket!
  • As DavidS said, make sure you check your state laws.

As for our practices, if physicians charge a fee, those fees are paid by the employee. Obviously, if the employer asks for a 2nd opinion, those fees would be paid by the employer.

Hope that helps!
  • [quote=Janice Carroll;717922]Some of the physicians are now requiring the employee to pay a $30.00 fee before they will complete the medical certification for FMLA. Do you make the employee pay the fee? What if it is for pregnancy?

At my wits' end!
    Janice[/quote]

Janice, your first post! Glad to have you aboard.

Sharon

:welcome: