Manager comment on rehire status about health issue

We have a cover sheet that the General Operations Manager uses in her department that is a termination checklist. At the bottom the last item is "Eligible for rehire, Yes or No." She came to me today asking if she could put a comment saying that the individual is eligible for rehire but that we would require a doctor's release to return due to back pain.

I'm just not sure about that. We certainly require a release to return from a medical leave (and have done so twice for this employee); however, since this would have to do with potential consideration of future re-employment are we exposing ourselves to any kind of discrimination risk if we make that note.

My middle of the road consideration was just to note that her decision to resign was based upon her current health status but not make a statement about requiring a release to be considered for rehire.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't believe I would put a qualifier. Our termination checklist includes yes, no, and upon review. Only the "no" requires a reason. Do you require pre-employment physicals? If so, that would be the time to insure the ee could meet all the physical requirements associated with the job.
  • Thanks Joanie. Unfortunately we do not require a physical. The job is a transcriptionist/typists position so we do advise that it requires sitting for most of the workday and, since it is typing, it is a repetitive motion job. I think the manager is just frustrated that our ROI on this hire was less than she had hoped. We were advised of her back trouble in her interview, so the manager asked her if she thought it would impede her ability to do the work and she said, no. I think because the employee gave the reason for resigning in her letter and said she hoped the door would remain open for her to return should she resolve her pain management problems, the manager thought she could require a release. I told the manager, the reason is in the letter. It will be up to whomever is hiring manager if she reapplies to determine her ability to meet the job requirements at that time based upon her interview and her prior employment record.