Michael Jackson

Unless you have been in space for the past few weeks you know Michael Jackson died and there will be a public memorial for him at the Staples Center today. Media types are calling it one of the largest media events in history. Its being covered live by most of the major networks and can be watched online.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes, and I for one am very tired of the relentless coverage, the interviews of anybody who ever came within his circle of acquaintances, and on and on. Whatever anyone thought of him while he was alive, and however sad it is when someone dies young and leaves young children behind, the word that came to me when I had the t.v. on while getting ready for work this morning was "circus".
  • I think alot of people feel the same way you do, cnghr, BUT... the ratings are undeniable. The coverage is fueled by huge ratings. On Fox last night they were discussing how their ratings would plummet whenever they pulled away from the Michael Jackson coverage to discuss other news.

I wont watch the memorial but I will probably read the news about it later and listen to the coverage of the event.
  • Oh, yeah, it's all driven by the ratings, for sure. And the media has absolutely no problem running the circus as long as it's bringing in the high ratings.

On a side note, my great-niece had a baby last week, and they named him Michael, which is his dad's middle name. I guess she kind of had her doubts about using the name Michael to begin with (they chose it months ago) because she thought it was too common, but then Michael Jackson died a week before the kid was born so now can you imagine how many little Michaels there will be running around who were born around this time in history? I guess she feels like she has to tell anybody who will listen that the baby was named after his dad, NOT Michael Jackson!
  • Ironically, after MJ died, many of his fans flocked to the "Michael Jackson" star on Hollywood's walk of fame to pay their respects (and over-react). However, the star belonging to the singer Michael Jackson was covered that day by some staging for an event nearby.

The star the fans went to actually belonged to Michael Jackson, the radio talk show personality.
  • [QUOTE=cnghr;716701]Oh, yeah, it's all driven by the ratings, for sure. And the media has absolutely no problem running the circus as long as it's bringing in the high ratings. [/QUOTE]

I think the purpose of the media is to bring us information that we are interested in. I suspect people are so tired of worrying about the economy that they want to think about their youth and the way they enjoyed his music and his showmanship. As long as so many are interested, they will bring us every tidbit on it that they can.

I was sorry to hear of his death, as he was a big part of my youth, but I must admit I do not understand the craze out there. Many people seem to go from one craze to another; again, it is something I do not understand. I am ready to move on.
  • Im breaking down and going to take just a QUICK PEEP at the coverage.

Ohhh.... golden casket. Classy!
  • General consensus about the memorial was mostly positive. A bit overblown perhaps but thats understandable considering it was for the world's biggest pop star.

Let the battles over Jackson's estate begin!
  • Sad thing really. I liked MJ at one time and "She's Out of My Life" is still one of my favorite songs. Then he just became too weird. I was travelling during the services so I missed them but wouldn't have watched if I had been near a TV. Hopefully he can rest in peace now. Do you honestly believe there will be lawsuits? No, I can't see it happening... :D

Side note - just a gentle reminder to everyone... It is a state law in most places (like Mississippi) that slower traffic keep to the right, NOT cruise along in the left lane, going the same speed as the person in the right lane - thereby irritating the poor, tired driver in the white convertible that got stuck behind you for miles... Can you tell I had a great drive up from the beach yesterday???
  • [QUOTE=KSR6450;716725]
    Side note - just a gentle reminder to everyone... It is a state law in most places (like Mississippi) that slower traffic keep to the right, NOT cruise along in the left lane, going the same speed as the person in the right lane - thereby irritating the poor, tired driver in the white convertible that got stuck behind you for miles... Can you tell I had a great drive up from the beach yesterday???[/QUOTE]

Also, if the speed limit is 65 and you are going 60 you should be in the right lane, and not forcing people to pass you on the right. (My experience was yesterday too, but I am sure it wasn't nearly as interesting as your drive.) :D
  • Tell them Nae!
    On the drive down I had my 13 year old niece with me. After listening to me gripe about this for hours I told her if she rememebers anything from our trip it should be that the left lane is for passing - she laughed and said she would never forget. O:) It is now an inside joke for us...