Not Hiring Smokers

Like a few other big companies, Humana of Ohio has taken a strict approach to boost its corporate wellness efforts and presumably keep its own health care costs down: New hires must immediately enroll in a smoking-cessation program and kick the habit. What do you think? Would you favor doing something similar at your own company? Here is a link to a Cincinnati.Com article about the program. tk

[B][url]http://tinyurl.com/kwha5u[/url][/B]

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Here in Oregon smoking is protected during "non working hours" except where a bona fide occupational requirement exists.

As an ex-smoker (I quit 12 years ago) I have some mixed feelings about this trend. For me, quitting was extremely difficult and took many attempts and several years of trying. I finally succeeded using the Nicorette gum to help curb the cravings and withdrawal symptoms.

On the other hand, increased societal pressure against smoking will help reduce the number of smokers which will reduce lung cancer and the other negative effects of smoking on health.

You also have to wonder about how Humana plans to monitor off work smoking. Its definitely right up to the edge of infringing on personal liberty.
  • Kind of makes you wonder what their next step might be. Maybe they'd require employees to swear off cake, cookies, and Hershey bars. Instead of metal detectors at the doors, will they have chocolate detectors or, in Humana's case, smoker detectors?

I can understand having lower health insurance rates for employees who make a "healthy lifestyle pledge" and I can understand retracting the discount if an employee is caught violating their pledge. But, to prohibit employees from a engaging in what amounts to a personal liberty, crosses the line.

Just my two cents!

Sharon
  • What about having laws against suicide? Isn't that an infringement on personal liberties? I am sure we have many levels of such infringement; it comes down to how far is too far. Sooner or later someone will sue about this. We may find out then.
  • I second Paul's response that in Oregon statute prohibits employer's from disadvantaging employees for engaging in legal, off-duty conduct. Our collective bargaining agreement prohibits our firefighters from using tobacco products; but other employees have a legal right to smoke. You will want to check your state laws as other states have similar laws protecting legal, off-duty conduct.
  • [quote=NaeNae55;716688]What about having laws against suicide? Isn't that an infringement on personal liberties? I am sure we have many levels of such infringement; it comes down to how far is too far. Sooner or later someone will sue about this. We may find out then.[/quote]

I thought it was a law against assisted suicide. Otherwise, if you commit suicide, you violate the law, and can be punished how? I've heard that suicides can't get into Heaven, but that's a whole other jurisdiction. :angel:

Sharon
  • If I had two applicants who are otherwise equal, and I knew one was a smoker and one was a non-smoker, I would hire the non-smoker.
  • [QUOTE=Sharon McKnight SPHR;716690]I thought it was a law against assisted suicide. Otherwise, if you commit suicide, you violate the law, and can be punished how? I've heard that suicides can't get into Heaven, but that's a whole other jurisdiction. :angel:

Sharon[/QUOTE]

Assisted suicide is often treated as murder in the States. Though suicide used to be a felony, it has generally been repealed. However, it is still considered an unwritten 'common law' crime.

If you attempt suicide you are likely to end up in a hospital ward somewhere under observation. Thus you are protected from yourself until you can get treatment. In addition, there can be other legal ramifications regarding property, contracts, etc.

If it was a true liberty no one could touch you. Since people who would like to commit suicide frequently recover and go on to live productive lives, this is one area where I think liberty should continue to be curtailed.

Smoking is really a way to commit suicide slowly, but I don't know that not hiring smokers really helps anyone.
  • [quote=ACU Frank;716693]If I had two applicants who are otherwise equal, and I knew one was a smoker and one was a non-smoker, I would hire the non-smoker.[/quote]

What I [B]meant[/B] to say, is that I [B]would[/B] have done this prior to August 28, 2008, when such action became unlawful in Missouri.
  • [QUOTE=ACU Frank;716713]What I [B]meant[/B] to say, is that I [B]would[/B] have done this prior to August 28, 2008, when such action became unlawful in Missouri.[/QUOTE]

Of course, Frank! We [I]never[/I] doubted it. ;)