disability for substance abuse

Do any of your short-term disability policies cover employees while they are out for substance abuse treatment?

We are self-insured and our coverage explanation indicates our short-term disability policy does not pay for any disability caused or related to drug/alcohol/substance abuse. We have had this explanation of coverage for years and I'm wondering if this could be a problem if we don't pay short-term disability for someone out of work seeking treatment. I know if they qualify for FMLA they can take FMLA for treatment but I'm not sure about disability.

Thought I'd run it past the forumites before I contact our attorney. Thanks.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You know what, I had to go look - I really didn't know! What I found was pretty interesting (and slightly humorous). Our policy will not cover any disability caused by:

"intoxication,"
    "voluntary use of any poison, chemical, prescription or non-prescription drug or controlled substance unless it has been prescribed by a doctor and is used as prescribed,"
    "being confined to a correctional facility"
    and my personal favorite..."intentionally injuring yourself or attempting suicide while [B]sane or insane[/B],"

They think of everything, don't they!!! So, Irie, to answer your question, no, they wouldn't allow benefits for substance abuse.
  • Looks like the only thing ours doesn't cover is "intentionally self-inflicted injuries", so it doesn't specifically say anything about any sort of substance abuse.