High School Diploma

With the long standing Griggs vs. Duke Electric case in the background how are your companies justifying having a high school diploma for entry level jobs. The graduation rates for minorities are at an all time high. Entry level jobs are sometimes their only hope to have the incentive to continue on with their education. It is hard when the powers to be have the idea that a high school diploma is a must for any job. Let me know what your companies are doing.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Not everyone with a high school diploma is better equipped to do the job than those without. We look at the application, how well it is filled out, if there are a lot of misspelled words and if directions were followed. If someone says they completed the 10th grade but their application is well done, we would consider them over someone with a high school diploma who can't follow directions or spell correctly.
  • I don't think that all positions should require a high school diploma, or even a high school education. However, we've all gotten used to requiring them anyway. I'd start with job descriptions for the positions that you think shouldn't require one or that could go either way. In consultation with the supervisors of those positions and possibly employees who've been in the positions, make a determination, based on the actual job requirements as to whether a diploma should be required or not.

When advertising for the positions that do not require a diploma, you might include: High School Diploma or equivalent preferred but not required. That let's applicants without diplomas or GEDs know that applicants with those credentials may be ahead of them, etc. but doesn't slam the door in their faces.

I know a man who never graduated from high school; however, he is a licensed electrician (retired now) and I'd rather have him wiring my house than anyone else. Because I can trust him.

Sharon

P.S. If you have a tuition reimbursement program, you might consider extending it to those working toward their GED as well as to those working toward a college degree. Just a thought.
  • I have a general rule of thumb: If you say you graduated from high school, but you spell the name of the high school wrong on your app or resume, it cancels out the diploma.
  • [quote=ACU Frank;716697]I have a general rule of thumb: If you say you graduated from high school, but you spell the name of the high school wrong on your app or resume, it cancels out the diploma.[/quote]

What do you do if the applicant can't quite remember the name of the high school? I mean, after 40-50 years, it all gets a bit blurry. ;)
  • All of this is a sensitive issue for me. My nephew has a learning disability. He finished high school and passed all his classes but was unable to pass the math gateway exam (algebra he can handle - fractions, etc. he cannot) so he received a certificate of completion but no diploma. The child enrolled in a study course and has been retaking the gateway exam every chance he could; flying up here whenever it was being offered. After 3 years he finally passed the math portion and now has his diploma. If his current employers had disqualified him outright they would have lost a hard working, dependable person who is easily trained. Bet they are glad the 'diploma' wasn't a deal breaker.