What Did You Do Before HR?

The Facebook thread in the main forum got me wondering about your past professional incarnations. As I mentioned in that thread, I was a reporter before I came to the M. Lee Smith family. Before that, I was going to teach college, but the time and debt that went into getting my master's convinced me it was time to stop with the higher ed and get a job.
All in all, it's probably better than my poor father thought I was going to do when I majored in English and Philosophy in undergrad. I remember him saying, "You know you're going to need to get a job one day, right?" Such a prophetic man.

So forumites, what did you do before you were an HR hero? Or did you always dream of one day navigating the waters of FMLA, PTO, and bickering employees?

Comments

• 22 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I thought HR was the department where you filled out employment applications and let the company know what your tax info was.

I originally planned on teaching, but life got in the way and I went back to get my degree in my 30's. I figured I would make more money faster in accounting (I also mistakenly believed things would be more black and white so easier.) I never imagined HR would fall into the picture. Turns out I like it. Thank Goodness!
  • I was an assistant dining room supervisor for 3 years. An invaluable experience with a fantastic supervisor who taught me so much about motivating others.
  • As a college dorm RA, I worked with a lot of HR majors and mocked them constantly. I even had a 'Notice of Infraction' placed in my file for attending the dorm staff Halloween party wearing a large cone on which I had created a parody of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. Surprisingly, not all involved beer, pizza and sex. No, wait a minute - they did. Sorry.

After experiencing the joys of working 70 hours a week running a newspaper for the right to maintain my ramen noodle and mac-n-cheese diet, I decided I might as well own my business and opened an insurance agency. I enjoyed the sales side, but hated dealing with underwriting and claims. I then put my two careers together and landed a position creating sales training programs for a fairly large international company (4,000 EEs, 70 locations). I reported to the Org Dev Director, and my HR transformation began.

During my earlier HR days, I also moonlighted in a psych unit ([I]okay, believe me, I've heard every joke that's running through your head right now[/I]) and as a stadium beer vendor for the KC Royals and KC Chiefs.
  • I've always been in banking, I started as a teller and did a number of different jobs before I moved to the administrative end of things. I started out doing payroll, then gradually added benefits administration and other HR-related things, and about 8 years ago they decided for the first time that they could use a regular HR department, and I'm it. I've worked for the bank for exactly half my life now (started 27 years ago, when I was 27 years old) and 19 years of that has been related in one way or another to HR, so I think it's safe to say I've found my niche!
  • Started out bookkeeping in medical offices for many many years and many types of doctors. I even covered for back office occasionally giving injections and assisting in minor surgeries. Most of the offices were small so automatically got roped into hiring and firing and light HR before the laws were so specific and ignorance was bliss.

Somehow drifted from the medical field and ended up in a magazine publishing firm doing all the finance, taxes, and general accounting and HR. Still am learning about HR as the laws can change often and takes a lot of refreshing unlike accounting which is mainly dealing with numbers.

Okay, I guess tax laws can change often but still a lot to learn about HR.
  • [QUOTE=ACU Frank;716540]As a college dorm RA, I worked with a lot of HR majors and mocked them constantly. I even had a 'Notice of Infraction' placed in my file for attending the dorm staff Halloween party wearing a large cone on which I had created a parody of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. Surprisingly, not all involved beer, pizza and sex. No, wait a minute - they did. Sorry.

After experiencing the joys of working 70 hours a week running a newspaper for the right to maintain my ramen noodle and mac-n-cheese diet, I decided I might as well own my business and opened an insurance agency. I enjoyed the sales side, but hated dealing with underwriting and claims. I then put my two careers together and landed a position creating sales training programs for a fairly large international company (4,000 EEs, 70 locations). I reported to the Org Dev Director, and my HR transformation began.

During my earlier HR days, I also moonlighted in a psych unit ([I]okay, believe me, I've heard every joke that's running through your head right now[/I]) and as a stadium beer vendor for the KC Royals and KC Chiefs.[/QUOTE]

Frank, you've had a lot of interesting jobs, but I have to admit the most interesting to me is the stadium beer vendor. Do you still know anyone there? Someone I might approach and drop your name and get better seats (without additional costs..lol)? Or would I be better off pretending I've never heard of you?
  • I went to a Royals game a few weeks ago and I was amazed at how many of the guys were still there (it's been 10 years). They can't help you with seating, though. That's run by the stadium's version of the Nazi party. :)

There was an interesting moment during the game, though... I had my wife, my son, and my FES (foreign exchange student) with me. Keep in mind, I've lived a few hundred miles from KC for ten years... Anyway, after about the 10th vendor stopped by to say 'Hi', FES turns to me and asks "So why are you so famous to all the beer sellers?"

Sure, I could have told him the story of how I worked there with those guys and all that, but it was a lot more fun to shrug and answer "People just know me".
  • I spent 13 years in banking (Cashier and Compliance Officer). Then 5 years in various management positions with a feed manufacturer, 2 of those were as HR Manager. We were in the midst of cutbacks when the HR Manager left and I was selected for the job in addition to being Credit Manager. I've been with my current company as Credit Manager since 1992, adding HR duties in 2005 after the HR Manager left in the midst of cutbacks. I think this time, I'll stick with HR.:)
  • I'm with cnghr. Started out as a teller, then moved up. Since I dislike dealing with people I moved out of the retail side and into the HR position. Hmmm, maybe that wasn't the best choice given the whole "dealing with people" issue?

I have a degree in Management and I took two years of Psychology classes because I enjoyed trying to understand human behavior. I always wanted to go into HR but was talked out of it by older siblings (quote "HR is always the first area to lose people in a downsizing"). Glad I had the opportunity to try this out for the last 6 years. I've been given the chance to go back into the retail side as Branch Manager for our newest location. But then I would have to deal with those pesky customers again.... decisions, decisions
  • [QUOTE=KSR6450;716552]I'm with cnghr. Started out as a teller, then moved up. Since I dislike dealing with people I moved out of the retail side and into the HR position. Hmmm, maybe that wasn't the best choice given the whole "dealing with people" issue?[/QUOTE]

I found that the people I disliked dealing with were customers...I actually like dealing with employees which is probably why I enjoy HR. I also enjoy problem-solving, and there's always plenty of that in HR!
  • Started off with a finance degree and went into the banking industry - I worked for one of those Big Banks who are now in trouble, and also with one of those Big Name motorcycle companies (THAT was an experience!).

After moving to Texas, I decided to try my hand at law, took the LSATs, got accepted, and in the meantime started working at a law firm. At said law firm I quickly realized I did NOT want to be a lawyer...I love the profession, the research, and the adrenaline, but I did not want to pull the 70 hr weeks. Never enrolled in law school, but I worked as a paralegal for several years, which was fun, and specialized in employment law, contracts, and corporate litigation.

I got an offer to go into HR due to the legal background, and I've been there ever since! :ball and chain:
  • No wonder I am always misunderstood on this forum. You are all FINANCEY people disguised as compassionate HR types like me.

Lightbulb.
  • I really hate to say this, but, Paul, you just might be right.::alien::
  • [quote=Paul in Cannon Beach;716578]No wonder I am always misunderstood on this forum. [B]You are[/B] [B]all [/B]FINANCEY people disguised as compassionate HR types like me.

Lightbulb.[/quote]

Don't know - but maybe it is your use of generalizations that can cause misunderstandings? I have a degree in MANAGEMENT! :D
  • [quote=Paul in Cannon Beach;716578]No wonder I am always misunderstood on this forum. You are all FINANCEY people disguised as compassionate HR types like me.

Lightbulb.[/quote]

Paul,

If it's any consolation, I started out as a graphic designer, dallied with retail, placed temps all over the greater Nashville area, did time in bookkeeping, bounced around in print production, slogged through facilities management, cruised through HR, and am now a technical writer. (Love the creative side of anything.)

I'm also back in college trying to get a degree because the first time around I just couldn't figure out what I wanted to do.

Sharon
  • It seems like a lifetime ago (because it was), but after college, I drove a taxi in New York City for a short period of time. When I first moved to Oregon, I worked as a bartender. Both of those jobs gave me the skills to listen with empathy; an important skill in HR. Now, however, people actually expect me to have all of the answers.
  • "started out"
    "dallied"
    "did time"
    "bounced around"
    "slogged"
    "cruised"

My favorite is "did time in bookkeeping" because that is what it would feel like to me.
  • Went into college with the intention of making a career in either the Military or Law Enforcement. Started working at Wally-World part-time while in college - 21 years later I retired from Wally-World. Spent the last 5 years in the home office in Personnel & Training. My better half and I took a few years out of the rat race to raise boys and cattle full-time then happened upon an HR position in a community bank. Been here 12 years now.
  • Dutch, I'd be curious to know what your five years in personnel and training were like at Walmart?
  • [quote=Dutch2;716672]Started working at Wally-World part-time while in college - 21 years later I retired from Wally-World. [/quote]

Have a friend who did the same thing with Sam's - he retired right before our 20th HS Reunion :-/ Guess he missed the thrill of Sam's though - so he became a white water rafting guide.

Which do you enjoy more - working for a smaller company (community bank) or a larger one (Wally-World)?
  • Although I am very fortunate to work with some really great people now I would have to say my tenure with Wally-World was by far the most satisfying and the most fun. You gotta remember that I started there in 1972 when there were only around 50 stores and Sam’s and Super Centers were still a long way off. The company growth was unbelievable and you truly could “grow up to be anything you wanted” if you were willing to put in the hours (lots & lots of hours) and didn’t mind getting dirty, literally. We didn’t have a lot of big shots and everyone was willing to do whatever was needed from helping unload trucks to customer service and running the checkouts. Most all of our senior management had worked their way up through the ranks.
    The time in Personnel and Training was also great. I had to opportunity to meet many world renowned speakers and cooperate executives – not to mention all sorts of celeb’s from sports, music, movies, etc… I had always promised my wife that when we started having kiddos I would get off the road and there weren’t many positions then that did not require traveling out to the stores most every week. I had too many good friends say that one day they turned around and their kids were grown – they missed them growing up. I consider myself very fortunate to have had the opportunity to work with them during that time period
  • [quote=Paul in Cannon Beach;716651]"started out"
    "dallied"
    "did time"
    "bounced around"
    "slogged"
    "cruised"

My favorite is "did time in bookkeeping" because that is what it would feel like to me.[/quote]

Paul,

It felt like doing time to me. I don't have a numbers kind of brain and though I'm functional in accounting, it's torture to balance figures, etc. Of course it might not be so bad now that so much of it is computerized. The last bookkeeping work I did was for a company that had three companies in one location and three different sets of books, all manual ledgers. No fun at all!

Sharon