Part-time workers not getting paid

Our owner is having his brother in law come in and work for a week while our receptionist is on vacation. I asked how he was going to be paid and my owner told me not to worry about it because he was paying him out of his own pocket. I am trying to convince him that this isn't a good idea but he won't listen. We can't have someone come in and work for us without having any record of payment. This could cause us many problems down the road but he won't listen. Have any of you ever dealt with something like this? If so what are your thoughts and how would you approach the situation?

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Look up 'casual labor' on the IRS website or anywhere else and you will note that the money paid to these workers is considered wages. If it is over $50/$100 in one quarter, I'd be careful...

[B]Income and unemployment taxes.[/B] You're not required to withhold federal and most state income taxes or to pay federal (FUTA) and state unemployment taxes with respect to your cash payments to an employee for casual labor unless
    [LIST]
    [*]the cash payment is $50 or more in a calendar quarter, and
    [*]the employee was engaged in casual labor for some portion of 24 different days during that quarter or during the preceding calendar quarter.
    [/LIST][B]FICA taxes.[/B] You're not required to withhold or pay FICA taxes with respect to your cash payments to an employee for casual labor unless the payments amount to $100 or more during the calendar year.
  • Also, what about work comp issues? If the guy falls and breaks something, especially if it turns into something serious, the entire company could be at risk. This is NOT a good idea.
  • All of these are very solid points which I have taken to our owner but he is now telling me that he isn't an employee of our company. He is doing personal work for the owner so the owner will pay him out of his own pocket like an independent contractor. This means we don't have to worry about workmens comp or payroll.

But the person is doing the work of our receptionist and he is being trained by her before she leaves for vacation. He is supervised by the owners of our company while he is doing personal work for the owner. This is a mess! Not to mention no even told me he was coming in! I show up to work today and there is a man sitting at our receptionist desk!
  • There is nothing else you can do except CYA. Document everything and move on. If something unfortunate happens, you will have everything you need to make sure you are not the one whose head rolls.

Meanwhile, keep your eyes open for another employer. Anyone who is this willing to break the law and put the entire company at risk to save a few bucks is lacking in integrity. If they cheat there, they will cheat with you.

Of course, it is always possible they are just coming up with a way to get some money to a family member in need without loss of pride. I commend the idea, but this way shows poor judgement.

Good luck!

Nae
  • NaeNae nae-ls it!

I'm not a huge proponent of CYA, but in this case, I would make sure you print and save any and all records of this conversation. This is an example of why your 'final thoughts' on a potential federal violation should always be via e-mail.
  • Linda - Thanks for this! I had not really thought about looking to the IRS on the topic. I have a tendency to check Wage & Hour and let it go.

[quote=KSR6450;716371]Look up 'casual labor' on the IRS website or anywhere else and you will note that the money paid to these workers is considered wages. If it is over $50/$100 in one quarter, I'd be careful...

[B]Income and unemployment taxes.[/B] You're not required to withhold federal and most state income taxes or to pay federal (FUTA) and state unemployment taxes with respect to your cash payments to an employee for casual labor unless
    [LIST]
    [*]the cash payment is $50 or more in a calendar quarter, and
    [*]the employee was engaged in casual labor for some portion of 24 different days during that quarter or during the preceding calendar quarter.
    [/LIST][B]FICA taxes.[/B] You're not required to withhold or pay FICA taxes with respect to your cash payments to an employee for casual labor unless the payments amount to $100 or more during the calendar year.[/quote]
  • [quote=ACU Frank;716379]Linda - Thanks for this! I had not really thought about looking to the IRS on the topic. I have a tendency to check Wage & Hour and let it go.[/quote]

I had a former employer who liked to use 'casual labor' to save money. It was not a good situation; but he, like everyone else, was afraid of the IRS!
  • Thank you all for your thoughts. Nae you are right he is trying to help a family member in need but he going about it the wrong way. He is putting himself in the sticky situation and it could put the company in a very sticky situation. I have documented their wishes and we will see what happens. He has a very big heart and in this situation it could cause him and the company problems. Thank you all again.
  • Owner brings in the brudda in law to do some part time under the table work as a receptionist. What could go wrong? Fuggadabout it.

You've made your objections known. Like others have said, document and move on. No point in you wrecking your career here.