forum members

I am confused about how this forum is working regarding members and guests. At one time the forum was open to everyone, but then it was so busy management decided to exclude everyone but paying subscribers. There was also a problem with employers posting and then having employees read the posts, recognize themselves, and get mad. There was some talk at the time of not letting anyone but members view or post.

Now when I look to see who is online I see lots of guests. Are these people who are not subscribers who can look but not post? Or is there some other explanation? It is important because forumites need to know if their employees will be able to read their posts.

While I am here I would like to also bring up the membership part. Between the great exodus after 'Him Who Shall Not be Named' left, and the economy forcing more and more HR people to stop subscriptions, we do not have enough people posting here. This forum has everything going for it except people who will post questions and answers. So what is the point? Perhaps you should consider opening it up again to the general public. You might even get some new subscribers out of it when newcomers realize how valuable M Lee Smith can be. When it becomes full again, you can change it back to subscribers only. Of course, one would hope that forumites who have been posting without benefit of a subscription would be grandfathered in, but since I hoped for that last time and was disappointed, I won't get my hopes up this time.

Nae

Comments

• 24 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [quote=NaeNae55;716103] Now when I look to see who is online I see lots of guests. Are these people who are not subscribers who can look but not post? Or is there some other explanation? It is important because forumites need to know if their employees will be able to read their posts.

This forum has everything going for it except people who will post questions and answers. So what is the point? Perhaps you should consider opening it up again to the general public. Of course, one would hope that forumites who have been posting without benefit of a subscription would be grandfathered in, but since I hoped for that last time and was disappointed, I won't get my hopes up this time.

Nae[/quote]

Good points=D>
    The guests are people who are viewing but not logged in. I don't always log in and can still view everything; just can't post. So yes, anyone can view the pages.

Not enough posters... Time is scarce for some people right now, who are working to cover positions that have been eliminated (which includes me). And finances are tight everywhere - I will not be renewing my subscription this year (unless I want to pay out of my pocket, and my pockets are getting shallower as the months go by). Opening it up might just be the answer!!

Did you notice the font had gotten larger today? I brought my readers in last week when I had reports to do, but I don't have them on today, do I??
  • Nae and KSR,

I wanted to chime in and let you know that we hear you! In fact, Jim Robb, Andrew, Chel, and the gang have been working on the mechanics to open up the Forum to many more HR professionals. It may take another few weeks, as we want to be sure the registration process for the newcomers is as seamless and easy as possible. More details to be provided soon. Thanks for your patience and participation.

Celeste
  • Thanks for responding so quickly Celeste! I am really excited to see what new things you guys have in store for the Forum.

And - am I losing it (there are those who know me that say I 'lost it' long ago), or has Andrew made some changes today?
  • And while we are asking, has a timetable been established for when we all get to be on the members list. I see it keeps adding new people, but we Senior members are being discriminated against. Do I hear "Class Action Discrimination Lawsuit"?:angel:
  • Again I will point out that you are[B] NOT[/B] SENIOR - you are SASSY.:D

Some of the names on that list are a bit, um, odd. I believe they are not 'real'. Like the numerous ones that were added in one day and all the different 'people' live in various countries around the world. Was that possibly a test?

It's Friday and it has been a loooong week.
  • [quote=KSR6450;716109]Again I will point out that you are[B] NOT[/B] SENIOR - you are SASSY.:D

Some of the names on that list are a bit, um, odd.

Ok, so I'm a sassy, senior member.:) I think my favorite name on the list is "spamslave". Bet that's Andrew just playing around.;) BTW - I'm going on vacation next week \:D/and you will miss me. Drat! We still have a 4 emoticon limit.
  • :cry: Don't go...

Spamslave is also following HR Hero on Twitter, so...
    Too bad EvilLisa left; I have some folks I would like for her to be 'evil' to...
    You are a Sassy Senior then; ever thought of doing any advertising, maybe, it Depends...
  • You are a Sassy Senior then; ever thought of doing any advertising, maybe, it Depends...[/quote]

:mad: Not that senior, missy............... No problems when I sneeze.
  • [QUOTE=KSR6450;716106]Thanks for responding so quickly Celeste! I am really excited to see what new things you guys have in store for the Forum.

And - am I losing it (there are those who know me that say I 'lost it' long ago), or has Andrew made some changes today?[/QUOTE]

No problem! We are just so glad to have our forum faithfuls sticking around (and making great posts).

I'll see what I can find out about the members list.

And finally, KSR, I can't speak to if you are actually "losing it," but I don't think there have been any changes made to the main forum. Chel said that she was playing with the fonts/size on the FAQ page, so maybe that changed the fonts for just a minute, but no permanent changes.

I'll keep you updated on what I find out. I'm actually off to go participate in a charitable event (one of the many great perks of working here at M. Lee Smith), so I'll check back in with everyone on Monday morning. Have a great weekend!

Celeste
  • Oops, did I capitalize that D? I am soooo sorry :o ;)O:)8-|
  • [quote=Celeste Blackburn;716113]
    And finally, KSR, I can't speak to if you are actually "losing it," but I don't think there have been any changes made to the main forum. Chel said that she was playing with the fonts/size on the FAQ page, so maybe that changed the fonts for just a minute, but no permanent changes.

Celeste[/quote]

It is the font sizes - they are different now. I like it.
    [B]Welcome, [/B][URL="http://forum.hrlaws.com/member.php?u=19726"][SIZE=2][COLOR=#003399][B]KSR6450[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][B]. [/B]
    [URL="http://forum.hrlaws.com/private.php"][SIZE=2][COLOR=#003399]Private Messages[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]: Unread , Total .
    Used to be all be the same size font.

The names of the members on their posts is in a smaller font. The names of the threads are in a larger font.

Good luck at your event!
  • Now if only they would make the fonts on the posts larger. ::pb&J::

So few of us here and now Joannie is going on vacation? :cry:

I will stay on here next week and do my duty. **==

Ok. One more emoticon to try: ::angryface::
  • KSR, if I may jump in, Andrew has indeed been busy today! He just finished adding five new emoticons to the pool. Wait, Nae beat me to the punch! tk
  • Gotta love the dancing banana!

Nae, I'll keep you company next week so this won't happen to you ::sleep::

I believe PICB has deserted us for Twitter, and Frank maybe, too??
  • :whip: You girls just keep on slaving away. I'll drink a couple of bloody mary's in the morning and a couple of margaritas in the evening for you. I can do that next week, you know.
  • [quote=joannie;716119]:whip: You girls just keep on slaving away. I'll drink a couple of bloody mary's in the morning and a couple of margaritas in the evening for you. I can do that next week, you know.[/quote]

As opposed to what you do now... ::pb&J::

I kid, I'm a kidder. I will be off a few days as well, it is BBQ fest here and friends are coming in town. One from that state "where all parents are strong and wise and capable and all children are happy and beloved" and she is a blast!
  • As for the "new member" names you see flashing through at the bottom of the Forum's front page, some of course are real, but many belong to spammers. They don't actually get to join because we Forum police cull them out before they're officially activated. It's kinda aggravating, but seems to be a necessary evil in this day and age. If you are a spammer/guest visitor reading this, please desist. You won't get past me and Celeste! ::angryface::

You also asked about "spamslave," who is followiing me (@TonyKessler) and also HRhero (@HRhero, which, for twittering purposes, is also me) on Twitter. "Spamslave" is a friend who works in another department at M. Lee Smith Publishers (this is the only time you'll ever see me use "spam" and "friend" in the same sentence). I'm finally sorta getting the hang of Twitter, so if you're on there too, please consider adding hrhero to your list of sites to follow. Don't follow TonyKessler, tho, unless you want to be bored to tears about half marathons and the like. I am not very exciting. tk ::sleep::
  • . Don't follow TonyKessler, tho, unless you want to be bored to tears about half marathons and the like. I am not very exciting. tk ::sleep::[/quote]

But Tony, that's what we love about you. You are the calm in our stormy world.:cool:
  • Those names I mentioned were actually on the member list a few days ago...uh oh! People from Japan, Tibet, the Philippines?

Since you said not to, I am now going to 'follow' you on Twitter! :angel: I already follow John Phillips and HRHero, but I have not been on there much lately.

Tony - did you run in the half marathon on the 25th in Nashville?
  • [QUOTE=joannie;716122].

But Tony, that's what we love about you. You are the calm in our stormy world.:cool:[/QUOTE]

Joannie: sucking up won't earn you a free t-shirt. ::pb&J::
  • [quote=NaeNae55;716124]Joannie: sucking up won't earn you a free t-shirt. ::pb&J::[/quote]

:mad: It better.
  • KSR, no, I didn't run the half in Nashville. Instead, I went out to the six-mile mark and cheered people on. Great race. I've done the full twice and the half twice. Instead of doing it again, though, I went to Cincy for the "Flying Pig Half Marathon" the following weekend (last Sunday). Fun event, too. I'll spare you all of the "swine flew" puns. tk
  • Ohhhh, Tony. 8-| Swine flu...flew. Better be careful with those puns or the 'pesky pun police' might find the alert button and zap you.

A friend ran in the half marathon - she is in HR also, and is a fan of Hero on FB (and would probably post here if...) :)
  • I'm way behind on this post but wanted to let you know I haven't been posting. I continue to have trouble getting the daily updates. Without those reminders, I just don't get in to post.

I'll bug the Employer's Forum folks again to see what they can do to help me out. The last word was that the e-mails must be blocked on my end, but it doesn't appear that way.

I've missed the forum and want to "get back into it."