Question on onsite baby showers/birthdays

I am trying to get an idea of if others allow baby showers at work in breakroom and if so have you ever had any issues? We have a person who is asking to have a shower before the shift starts (we are manufacturing plant). I don't see any major issues but was wondering if anyone has any issues that they have encountered.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have always allowed employees to hold baby showers on site in our breakrooms, and we've never had any problems. Generally the people attending are all employees, and they understand not to abuse the opportunity to use a company room for a gathering like this. As long as you are sure that any non-employees who might be in attendance (sometimes we've had relatives invited) won't be wandering into any work areas that outside people would not be allowed in for security or safety reasons, I can't think of too many issues that might arise from allowing this.
  • We have them here as well but not in a break room. We use one of our meeting rooms or dining rooms.

Never been an issue here.
  • We have had them in our conference room and has worked out well.
  • In a former life they did this for one gal and then not another. .lots of hurt feelings. .told future ones were to be off site.
  • Is the company giving the shower or is it being given by a group of employees? I hate to be a stick in the mud, but unless the company is giving the shower, I would not allow it. Maybe my paranoia of the "U" word is showing, but I think if you allowed group of employees to use your facilities for non-work related gatherings, you would have to allow the unions to use the facilities to meet with employees. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.
  • Jo, you are just a party pooper. :D

But, I can see your point and sonny's as well. We have never allowed an employee to use our facility unless it was for a company sponsored event. In a 'former life' (I like that saying!) I had to hold a baby shower for a co-worker in my tiny 3rd floor apartment due to restrictions at our job location. It is not uncommon.
  • We've allowed them in the past, but discourage them now. The biggest issue was that without exception we always end up having at least one ex-employee who left on bad terms show up. It gets ugly.
  • There was a case here in Oregon in which a union challenged the public employer's policy that allowed use of the employer's resources for things like employee baby showers, birthday parties, etc.; but prohibited use of resources for political, religious and commercial solicitations (which included union-related solicitations). While some courts have taken an "all or nothing" approach, in this case, the Oregon Court of Appeals affirmed a more nuanced approach. The employer's policy was found to be valid. The case was SEIU v. Oregon Judicial Department. I think the decision was issued in 2006 (give or take a year).