Clocking in/out

Has anyone had problems with hourly employees clocking in and out for each other. What did you do about it and do you think it is a problem for one person to clock everyone in from lunch at the same time. We clock in on our computers, these employees are not at their work stations yet. Also, problems clocking in as soon as they hit the door?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Had this problem in the past, but not now. Implemented a policy stating employees clocking in or out for other employees would be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination.
  • We did the same thing as Joannie... after a couple of written counseling forms, word got out that we were serious about clocking in/out for yourself only.
  • This has been cause for immediate termination everywhere I've ever worked.
  • Anyone caught clocking in/out for another person and the person they are clocking in/out for are subject to disciplinary action up to and including discharge. Word spreads very quickly and the clocking in/our stops just as fast.
  • One of the toughest work days I ever had was the day I terminated three associates for clocking each other in-out. Two of them would go get the car and pull it around to the front of the building. About 30 minutes later, the "clocker" would punch for all of them and jump in the car, conveniently parked right by the door. Then they'd all go to lunch and do the same routine in reverse when they got back. So the two getting teh car, in effect, stole an hour a day from the company.

I wasn't in HR at the time. I had taken over a mail services department a few months earlier and managed about 50 ees. Apparently, the previous manager had never so much as issued a verbal warning, much less a writeup so when I came on board, the unit was rife with disciplinary problems. I think I termed about 10 ees during my first six months in the department, but the day I termed those three was the worst.

We had a clearly stated policy against clocking for someone else, but they didn't seem to care about that. They did care about being fired and for weeks afterward, I got anonymous phone calls threatening everything from my car tires to my own safety. Two of the three were related to ees still in my department and the vibe coming from them was very chilly for some time.

On a positive note, the rest of the staff was jubilant. Seems these three were the ring leaders in most of the "goings on" within the department and once they were gone, we got a lot more work done with not nearly as much effort.

Sharon
  • A clearly and enforcable policy works wonders. Make sure you communicate clearly to the employees that this practice is fraud and will not be tolerated. Follow your policy if your employees don't and soon everyone will get the point.

Good luck!

Nae