Spring is here

It is a little overcast and chilly out, but I am ok with that since I know Spring is here at last. All week I have been watching little birdies in the bushes next to my window. Yesterday one of them perched on the windowsill. I am really loving it! Just now I spied a little one with a head full of red feathers. I am sure the rest of his body will soon follow.

YIPPEE!

Comments

• 25 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [SIZE=4]It is a beautiful day here as well. One of many we have had. I love Spring, things are growing and everything seems new![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Tell me more about the bodyless bird bird, Nae :)[/SIZE]
  • Ok, where's the bah humbug emoticon. KSR, you are just a bit too chipper with your large type.
  • LOL. OK, it turns out the body was there all along, it was just gray and blending into the bare bush and overcast sky.
  • [SIZE=4]I just got back from a great lunch and being outside and I am [/SIZE][SIZE=4]so relieved the little fella has feet errr wings![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]I love the edit feature, I can correct my spelling and no one ever nose.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Feet? You'd better be worried that the poor bird might not have had wings! Here, let me give it a pair.[/SIZE]:angel:

Now if we could just figure out how to set the default font size.
  • I'm missing our spring weather from earlier in the week. Wednesday it was 72. Today 32. :( Soon, young grasshopper, soon.
  • [SIZE=4]Your weather sounds like ours. We always say if you don't like the weather right now, wait an hour. There was snow on the ground a few weeks ago and it was 60 degrees. :-/[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]I didn't know you two had moved to Oklahoma![/SIZE]
  • Heck, what we've been saying here lately is if you don't like the weather, you only have to wait 5 minutes. I work on the 3rd floor and a couple of days ago some employees came upstairs from the 2nd floor for a meeting in my office. Just in the space of time it took them to walk up the stairs, it went from snowing like crazy to the sun being out. They were shocked that the weather was so much better just one floor up!

DH and I went to the movies last night and when we went in, there was a little bit of slush on the ground but all the streets were clear. Three hours later we came out to find 2.5 inches of new snow had fallen, and that had increased to about 4 inches this morning. All of the smart spring birdies in this area are laying low until it looks like we'll actually have some decent weather, and even the crocuses, which are normally blooming all over town by now, haven't started peeking out of the ground. Enough, already!
  • Spring is here too and I'm embarrassed to admit that I still have my left over Christmas tree on my patio. I'm waiting for a warm evening so, after dark, I can sneak it down to the curb at the edge of the condo complex. :o
  • Okay, so now it actually does look and feel like spring outside, if you don't observe the (rapidly melting) snow on the ground. It's warmed up about 15 degrees and is beautiful and sunny. I'm so confused! :-/
  • I've always wanted to visit Alsaka, and now that I have completed the lower 48 it is next. What is Alaska like in the Springtime? I'm sure it is beautiful.
  • I remember it being a lot like Tennessee is in January - chilly, cloudy and can freeze any minute. Oh, but Alaska has melting snow in the spring. I guess we do have that here sometimes in January. H-m-m-m, I need to contemplate this a bit.

Sharon :o
  • [QUOTE=KSR6450;715575]I've always wanted to visit Alsaka, and now that I have completed the lower 48 it is next. What is Alaska like in the Springtime? I'm sure it is beautiful.[/QUOTE]

Well, it depends on what part of Alaska you're in. This is such a big state we have very different climates in different areas. I'm in the extreme Southeastern part (much closer to Seattle than Anchorage). This is a "temperate rain forest", and our spring weather usually means temps in the 45-degree range, and we get a LOT of rain (we average 160 inches of rain per year). On a nice spring day like today, it's absolutely beautiful, we have lots of trees, mountains, and ocean around us, but unfortunately on a not-so-nice day you can't see any of the scenery because the clouds are clear down to the water and it's blowing & raining sideways! And unfortunately, you never know quite which kind of a day it's going to be... we joke that the weather forecast mentions a chance of rain almost every day because it's a pretty safe bet!

It's still unseasonably chilly for us right now, it was 29 degrees when we got up this morning which is, I think, far below average for late March. But I'm holding out hope that spring is really on the way, I actually heard a spring bird chirping in the trees outside our bedroom window (and what he was saying was probably something along the lines of "Brrrr...what are we doing out here 29-degree weather?!")
  • [quote=NaeNae55;715466]It is a little overcast and chilly out, but I am ok with that since I know Spring is here at last. [/quote]

Nae, where is spring now?:cry: I don't like the looks of that snow coming in.
  • It is pretty here :D Please don't send that weather this way!
  • cnghr

Where you live sounds lovely! Liquid sunshine and all. You think of Alaska, and you think Frozen Tundra. I blame the media. :D
    29 isn't bad for a morning low; it has been colder than that here in the last week. And we have extremely hot summers to deal with, where the birds say, "Why the heck aren't we in Alaska?"
  • [QUOTE=joannie;715603]Nae, where is spring now?:cry: I don't like the looks of that snow coming in.[/QUOTE]

You are right, they are threatening a lot of snow around here starting tomorrow night. Tonight our youngest grandsons have their very first ball practice. I am not sure if we will make it as it is cold and windy right now, and it will probably be raining at start time.

Oh well. We are in the midwest after all, so what else can you expect? :(
  • [QUOTE=KSR6450;715607]cnghr

Where you live sounds lovely! Liquid sunshine and all. You think of Alaska, and you think Frozen Tundra. I blame the media. :D
    29 isn't bad for a morning low; it has been colder than that here in the last week. And we have extremely hot summers to deal with, where the birds say, "Why the heck aren't we in Alaska?"[/QUOTE]

Yes, it can be quite beautiful here, copious amounts of rain aside. It was kind of stormy earlier today and my husband and I took a drive at lunch time and parked by a beach and watched the waves breaking on the rocks and the seagulls and a couple of bald eagles soaring on the wind currents....even though we were both born and raised here, we never get tired of the scenery we get to enjoy almost every day.

29 degrees may not sound bad for a morning low to you, but it's unusually cold for us for the end of March. More often than not, by this time in March it's not getting any lower than the high 30's at night and certainly isn't freezing (and I hear we're supposed to get up to 2 inches of new snow tonight!) We get spoiled by the "temperate" part of our "temperate rainforest". Granted, while our winters usually aren't very cold, our summers often aren't very warm, either, but that's okay because most of us who have lived here for any period of time start to wilt pretty badly in anything above about 70 degrees anyhow!
  • I know I should know my geography better but are you anywhere near the erupting volcano?
  • [QUOTE=plynnl;715613]I know I should know my geography better but are you anywhere near the erupting volcano?[/QUOTE]

No, thank goodness...I'd rather have to deal with a couple of inches of new snow than a couple of inches of ash like they're getting up there!

We're actually the southernmost town in the S.E. Alaska panhandle...if you look at a map of Alaska, we're in the part that extends down alongside Canada, toward Washington. We almost consider ourselves to be a northern extension of Washington, since Seattle is the major city we're closest to.
  • [quote=cnghr;715612]Yes, it can be quite beautiful here, copious amounts of rain aside. It was kind of stormy earlier today and my husband and I took a drive at lunch time and parked by a beach and watched the waves breaking on the rocks and the seagulls and a couple of bald eagles soaring on the wind currents....even though we were both born and raised here, we never get tired of the scenery we get to enjoy almost every day.

29 degrees may not sound bad for a morning low to you, but it's unusually cold for us for the end of March. More often than not, by this time in March it's not getting any lower than the high 30's at night and certainly isn't freezing (and I hear we're supposed to get up to 2 inches of new snow tonight!) We get spoiled by the "temperate" part of our "temperate rainforest". Granted, while our winters usually aren't very cold, our summers often aren't very warm, either, but that's okay because most of us who have lived here for any period of time start to wilt pretty badly in anything above about 70 degrees anyhow![/quote]

What a pleasant way to spend your lunch :). You don't realize how much you miss the mountains and oceans until you go back. I even miss the scrubby mountains of California. Growing up in the foothiils of the San Bernardino Mtns you take things, like a view of Lake Arrowhead from your bedroom, for granted. It was great to be able to go from snow in the mountains to a sunny day at the beach in an hour. I'll be homesick all day now :(
  • [quote=joannie;715603]Nae, where is spring now?:cry: I don't like the looks of that snow coming in.[/quote]

It is going from the 60's to snow then back to the 70's in Ardmore this weekend! That is great; you will get all the seasons in two days :D
  • Hopefully this will be our Easter cold snap.