Dutch Oven Cobbler

We have prepared this on several Boy Scout campouts and it is always a big hit. My son finally tried it at home in the oven last night and it was just as good.

Line your cast iron dutch oven or what ever container you use with heavy duty aluminum foil, for easy clean up. Pour in the contents of two canned fruit pie fillings, 21 oz. cans, your choice of fruit. We have used peach, apple and cherry on various campouts. Spread the canned fruit filling evenly in the container, then pour the contents on one Great Value (Wal-Mart brand) yellow cake mix, 18.25 oz, over the fruit pie filling. Do not mix anything in the cake mix. Just pour the cake mix in over the pie filling. Cover with lid and bake in oven at 375 degrees for one hour and 15 to 30 minutes. We made a cherry cobbler last night and it was great! Easy to prepare and basically no clean up. Of course the ice creme on the side was pretty good too.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We tried this with peach pie filling at our last camporee but got talking and forgot it on the fire. When we opened the cover it looked like a lava pool...black on the outside and bright orange inside.

I wish we had thought to line the dutch oven with foil...there'll be a next time :-)
  • OK, 2 cans of pie filling - how many hungry boy scouts does this feed??? Approximately an army, I'd guess! Sounds good - and easy, though.
  • Well.... think about young, growing teenage boys in the outdoors. Actually you do good to get a decent serving for 8 to 10 scouts and they always want seconds.... These are so easy to prepare we usually make two seperate cobblers in dutch ovens. Since not every boy will like a particular fruit pie filling we prepare two different flavors. Of course then most want a taste of each.