Ex-Husband Chicken Casserole

My husband was horrified to find that the chicken casserole he adored had really come from my first husband. I told him that he shouldn't complain. I was the one that had been married seven years to get the recipe. He named this dish and all my friends now ask for the recipe by this name.

I'm holding back my Spinach Madelaine Recipe until I get the Marguarita Pizza Recipe and the Key Lime Strawberry Cheesecake Recipe. (You know who you are.) I'll post again when you post!

In the meantime, this is the best one dish recipe I have. Enjoy!

P.S. None of my friends can cook, so all my recipes are written for the culinary challenged. Please don't be offended. My friends just need lots of instruction.

EX-HUSBAND CHICKEN CASSEROLE

3 cups of cooked, diced chicken*
1 pkg. Uncle Ben’s long grain and wild rice – prepare according to directions
1 can cream of celery soup – undiluted
1 medium onion – chopped
1 can french style green beans
1 can water chestnuts – sliced
3/4 cup mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients and pour into 3-quart flat casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes until it is hot throughout. Sprinkle the top with almonds or cracker crumbs. If you choose cracker crumbs, mix with melted butter before sprinkling on the top.

*Use 4 –5 chicken breasts cut into cubes. Combine chicken cubes, 1 cup of water, 1/8 teaspoon of rosemary, 1/8 teaspoon pepper and ½ teaspoon of salt in 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Cover with top and microwave at medium for 5 – 7 minutes. Stir every 2 – 3 minutes. Drain.

MARGARET MORFORD

Margaret Morford
theHRedge
615-371-8200
[email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
[url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • OK, Margaret, just for you I'll post my secret recipe. (Actually it isn't a secret, it's just not much of a recipe!)

Virgin olive oil
    Aprox. 1/2-cup quality Mozzarella cheese, shredded or sliced
    3-4 roma tomatoes, thickly pureed
    At least 8 large, fresh basil leaves.
    6-8 oz. ball of pizza dough

Make your dough ahead of time (I'll put a recipe below, in case you don't have one of you own)
    Prepare your grill-hot charcoal fire with rack 3-4 inches above goals. Or, set one side at high heat and one side at medium (remove upper grill racks if you have them.)

Roll your dough out to about 1/8 inch thickness, don't worry about getting a circle (unless your grill is round) Use a peel dusted with cornmeal, or a well oiled, inverted cookie sheet to transfer the crust to the grill. Brush the grill surface with olive oil. Place the crust over the high heat part of the grill. It will immediately begin to puff a little and harden on the bottom, cook 1-2 minutes and most, using tongs, flip the crust over to a cooler part of the grill. Brush the crust with olive oil; spread the tomato puree to within 1/2 inch of the edge of the crust. Top with cheese. Move back towards the high heat. Cook until cheese is melted and bubbly, 5-8 minutes; check the bottom frequently to avoid excess charring. Remove with peel, or use tongs to pull it onto the cookie sheet. Top with the fresh basil leaves, and enjoy!

Pizza Dough

1-tablespoon active dry yeast
    6 cups high-gluten flour
    2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    Extra virgin olive oil
    Sprinkle the yeast over 1/2 cup warm (105 to 110 degrees) water and allow it to dissolve and activate, about 5 minutes. Combine the flour and salt and mound it onto a cool work surface creating a high walled well in the center. Combine the yeast mixture with 1 1/2 cups of cool water and pour into the well. Slowly begin to mix the water and flour, a little at a time, moving your fingers in short, counter clockwise circles around the border of the water. When the dough is firm enough to hold its shape, scrape the remaining flour over it and knead until the mass is smooth and shiny, approximately 7 minutes. Transfer the dough to a bowl that has been brushed with olive oil. Brush the top of the dough with olive oil to prevent a skin from forming, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place away from drafts until doubled in bulk, about 2 hours. Punch down the dough and knead once more. Let the dough rise again for about 40 minutes, punch down again and form into dough balls.

• Did I miss the marguarita part of the pizza or do you just drink lots of them?

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • The name pizza margarhita doesn't have anything to do the with drink. It is named for the Italian (Queen, Princess, noblewoman of some sort, I forget) for whom it was first made. It was made to represent the colors of the Italian flag, red (tomatos), white (mozzarella), and green (basil).

But, by all means, feel free to drink as many as you would like, just don't get too close to the flames! =P~
  • I'll bring mine in Monday. .not really MINE, but sure good. Thanks for the pizza recipe. can't wait to try it and sprinkle a little Feta cheese on top.
  • >>Key Lime Strawberry Cheesecake Recipe<<

I'm not leaving until it's posted.

Seriously.

C'mon, let's have it.

Going to get coffee - be back in a minute.

Okay, I'm back. Where's the recipe?

Hello? Anyone there?

Hello??

Okay... I see how you are! I'll be back!

• I forgot to bring it in. . .Tuesday, i promise!!