More Stuff 'bout the Market

Continued concerns regarding the credit crisis, a slowdown in consumer spending, and a further weakening of the US economy sent the Dow down more than 7% on the day, Oct. 9, 2008. This date also marks the one-year anniversary of the current correction. The Dow put in its record high of 14,164.53 back on October 9, 2007. Today, the Dow closed at 8,579.19 -- down 39.4% from its one year old peak. For some perspective on the magnitude of the current decline, the first year of the current correction has been more severe than the first year of any correction since 1900 -- and that includes the correction that began in 1929.
October 10, 2008 the Dow closed at down 128 at 8541.
Hey Ray... checked your 401(k) lately.... I'm gonna have to work forever. We can forget about the baby boomers leaving the work force in the near furture.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm some kind of a masochist, I guess, because I've been looking at my 401k nearly every day lately. According to my balance today, I have lost all of the money that I've put in there in the past 4.5 years, plus whatever employer matches have gone in there also. Oh, well, I never wanted to retire, anyway. Who wants to have that much spare time on their hands?! I'm sure retirement is highly overrated and I'd just be bored.....

• I had an ee ask yesterday if she could take out her whole 401k balance as a distribution. She is past retirement age and just wanted to stop the bleeding. It was heartbreaking.

I hope retirement is overrated - since we may never get the chance to find out! x:-(

I keep praying things will rebound...
  • Dutch, I just looked.... ack... someone call 911.... I'm at home on the 2nd floor and it I jump now it will hurt....

OK, I just paid off my credit card today. My house will be paid for next February. What, me worry?
  • I've heard it said that the stock market is the civilized person's poker. So, n the immortal words of Kenny Rogers:

"you got to know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em, know when to walk away, know when to run."
  • ... a repeat but fitting...

If you had purchased $1,000 of AIG stock one year ago, you would have
    $42 left.
    With Lehman, you would have $6.60 left.
    With Fannie or Freddie, you would have less than $5 left.
    But if you had purchased $1,000 worth of beer one year ago, drank all of
    the beer, then turned in the cans for the aluminum recycling REFUND, you
    would have had $214.
    Based on the above, the best current investment advice is to drink
    heavily and recycle.

It's called the 401-Keg Plan

• I just got the statements from last quarter for all my ee's 401k's and will pass them out tomorrow with the pay stubs. I am going to have to make sure there are no sharp objects nearby and that all the windows are closed on the second floor..... it is very sad for some.

Heck, they may kill the messenger.