Politics

2»

Comments

• Any examples like these? I'd welcome links from both sides!
  • Frank:

I thought you might ask for examples, but I don't have any. Of course, I don't have any for the republican side either. I don't spend my time looking for ways to find humor while making fun of people, and I don't spend a lot of time keeping track of who said what when during political races.

Anyone who might suggest that there aren't any examples just because I can't readily come up with them probably needs to have their head examined. It is beyond belief that there wouldn't be any, or that there would only be some on one side of the aisle. If you take a few sentences here and a few sentences there from the Bible you can claim the same thing. One just needs to put things into context, however, to find the truth. The Bible speaks of something for some circumstances, and something else for others. People are the same way.

Having said that, there is no doubt that many of the items repeated on the Daily Show were good examples of hypocrisy at work. Not all of them though. Look at a few of them more closely and check out what else was being said in the conversation. I don't blame the show for choosing the ones they did, as the point was to go for humor while still promoting the agendas of the staff. I do think that if it had served their purposes as well, we would have seen the same thing from the dem side. Humor is a great way to get others to join us in our beliefs, and passion for a cause is good, but if it is not fairminded it is worthless.

Just my 2 cents.

Nae
  • Of course much has been made of Palin's peccadillos in the press presently, but what about Biden? Does anyone remember why he dropped out of the race in the late 80s? Something about stealing speeches from British policians and pretending they were his. Oh, and the revelation that he had a prior history of plaigarizing dating back to his college days. But, that's old news so of course the press doesn't care about that now. What was that about character?
  • I just read an interesting post on a political blog. The writer reponded to a question on why all the vitriol saying that it might have something to do with people having a team attitude. He went on to say that it often seems to be important which team wins rather than who is president. With a football team, fans can easily overlook the flaws of the quarterback or any star of the team as long as the team is winning. Same in politics. Democrats will accept the flaws of Obama and Biden but bitterly attack the flaws of McCain and Palin and Republicans will act exactly the same.

• Advocating doing away with the party system?
  • Good idea actually!!
    Unfortunately, people will always choose sides, it is our nature. Organized 'group speak' is what we crave....if there are no parties we will just be forced to form new ones. x:-)

• Actually, George Washington and other founding fathers strongly urged against the concept of a parties because of the fear of abuses of the system.

What I find interesting is that we criticize the opposing party for not nominating someone who holds beliefs more in line with our own. For example, how could those Democrats even think of nominating someone in favor of abortion? Or, how could those Republicans nominate a pro-life candidate? Well, this election will tell us the majority opinion if nothing else.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-05-08 AT 02:38PM (CST)[/font][br][br] >Well, this election will tell us the majority opinion if nothing else.

No, this election will tell us the majority opinion of those who care enough to make the effort to vote. I am certain the vast majority, as usual, will not turn out to vote, but will sit in the stands and complain no one ever listens to them.

• I assume you meant [i]no one [b]ever[/b] listens to them[/i].
  • There you go, Ray, Luv. Corrected just for you.x:*