Tour

Is anyone else following the Tour de France? My entire family really gets into this race every year. It is on just long enough to 'bout figure out what each of the colored jerseys stand for and maybe start to understand how they keep score and then it is off for another year.
The current leader, Rasmussen(spelling) had worn the yellow (lead) jersey for several days and last night it was taken away from him. Turns out he had missed three required drug test and after winning again yesterday, he apparently refused to take a drug test and his own team asked him to leave. Just the day before one of the race favorites tested positive for a blood transfusion. Turns out he had apparently added someone elses' blood to his body to give him a higher oxygen level after doing very poor, 23 mintues mintue, the day before and then just blew everyone off the roads the next day, with his new and improved blood.
Lance is missed......

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I used to follow bike racing closely when I did a lot biking myself. Seems this year the big interest has been on the drug problems. I glanced at the article on the Russian who got the transfusion. But, did he use someone else's blood or his own? A banned technique that used to be popular was blood doping. Store your own blood then inject it back in just before the race. Somehow it gives a boost.
  • I'm a tour junkie and must admit that I know how each person wins their colored jersey. It took many years to figure out but I finally got it!

What a shame that such a beautiful sport has to be marred by cheaters. In my opinion these cyclists are the epitome of an athlete and they should be proud of what they do, not taint their sport by using illegal methods.

I only hope they clean up this sport because I don't know what I would do for three weeks in July without my Tour. Go Alberto!
  • Me too!. Everyday I look forward to going home at lunch and watching the day's race. With Levi Leipheimer in third place, there is still a possibility that an Amercican can win. If he does, it will make 9 years in a row. I like Levi but I must admit that I too am cheering for Alberto Contador (the rookie currently in first place for you non-tour junkies). The Discover Channel team is very impressive again.
  • My oldest daughter and I are huge fans of the race, but it's been tough to get very excited about it this week, with two stage winners, including the yellow-jersey wearer, getting kicked out of the race just a few hours after they stood on the podium. It was interesting that the Versus TV announcers (who are great) were trying to avoid saying Rasmussen's name last night, kinda like "He Who Shall Not Be Named" from Harry Potter lore. tk
  • What do we do now? We, me and my family, have watched the tour everyeday for three weeks... It will be interesting to see if Alberto can repeat next year.

• Baseball is still on. The Yankees still have a chance. The Cardinals are done.
  • Hey... the Cardinals are "trying" to make a come-back. Not impossible, but probably not very likely. Down in these parts we hoot for the Cards, some of us the Cubbies, and anybody playing the Yankees!