Well, he interviewed well . . .

Ahem, I can admit my mistakes.

Two weeks ago I offered a job to a guy, he was supposed to start on Monday. When he called me instead of showing up, I knew something was up.

He said he was concerned that he didn't pass our physical/drug screen, so he was afraid to quit his other job and come in. (He did pass). I asked him point-blank what his concern was and he said he didn't know if the pot would be out of his system that he smoked "a few weeks ago", but of course he's clean now.

Yes, we still allowed him to come in, (afterall, he tested clean). But he came in with tennis shoes on. He knew he needed steel-tips, but didn't have the money to buy a pair of steel-toed shoes; he thought maybe he could work with tennis shoes for a couple days until he got his first paycheck. Of course, he was sent home.

Anybody else have any candid-camera moments when a new employee started? Please tell me it's not just me?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • No, it is not just you! I hired a courier, he was soft spoken, impeccably dressed, polite, respectful. His app listed bible college, volunteer groups, you name it. He was a Prince! Second day on the job he fell, slapped a concrete bench, hurt himself going down...We were sooo sorry for this poor man...Two weeks later, workers comp gets involved, and, guess what? It was his FOURTH wc claim in 20 years. He had been living off of wc for all that time. Case is still out, who knows what will happen. I refer to the whole interview process as "The Facade".
    scorpio
  • Nope, you’re not alone. Two years ago I made a job offer to an x-police officer who gave a great interview. I made the offer contingent on favorable results on a background check and pre-employment drug screen. Production Manager was anxious to add head count as we were in dire need so I brought him in before the results of the drug screen were received. Two hours into the orientation I received the screen results via e-mail and terminated immediately. I knew at that point why he was an x-police officer. I learned my lesson and have not repeated the mistake of putting someone on the payroll without the screen results.
  • I thought you had been put out to pasture Mel. About 6 years ago I interviewed a candidate for an Operations Manager position. He came in in a three piece suit (Still barely popular then), impeccable, smooth as goose sh*t. He went through two day-long interview sessions and we offered him a job. Best candidate we had seen in quite awhile. Positive-cocaine.

But, I can understand your guy not having 98 bucks to buy steel-toes. You should have a policy of either buying them for the worker or advancing the money. What unemployed worker has money for uniforms or personal protective equipment?
  • Thanks for everybody's input! I no longer feel so alone.

We finally have this guy on board, steel-toes and everything. Hopefully it gets better from here on out.

Yes Don, I should have been out to pasture by now. I'm down to two days / week and my FINAL day is 11/17. Besides, I had to stay around to wish you a Happy Birthday next week, right?
  • Interviewed a fellow, looked fine - Had him speak to the supervisor - looked fine. Started on the following Monday. Supervisor had him working in a detached building, by himself (a small mistake). At 2:00 P.M., I was summonsed to the floor he was on, and there he was, on the floor, screaming in agony, I mean really screaming. Could not be touched, had to call 911 to take him to Boston City Hospital. Strangely, released after 2 hours, next week, received the Workers Comp. filing. A real neat set-up.
    Six months later, I opened the newspaper to learn that I had hired the "King of the Gypsies" for Greater Boston, and he was well known for his scams.
  • Young man interviewed for a material handler spot. Good interview, references checked out. Second day on the job and gets his foot run over by a fork lift. Operator of the fork lift insisted that the fellow deliberately put his foot out as he was driving by.

Turns out the guy was underage, 16, and used his brother's ID and info. That comp case cost the insurance company $20,000 AND the company $20,000. The reward is double if you hire a minor and he gets injured. No exceptions.

• Alone -- oh, No.
    Interviewed a fellow for summer trim paint program. He interviewed like a dream. Sent him to Team Manager who rated him 95% on customer service skills and 98% on technical knowledge. Offered him job, contingent on background check and drug screen. Background came back with all kinds of charges, so sent him the no-thanks letters. He calls and says -- that's not him, but his son who has the same name (raised by his mom and was a nightmare for him). Had the company recheck -- no go. But he still insisted - I mean smooth as silk -- so I ran another check through another company and got a clean check. To make a long and horrible story short -- last week I had to testify in his parole revocation hearing. I have learned my lesson.