Goodbye Ronnie!

I was saddened to hear of the passing of President Reagan over the weekend. It was such a a tragedy that someone who was so full of life and vigor had to wrestle through the horror of Alzheimers the last ten years.

I, who for the most part, despise most politicians and how they conduct themselves, can say that I honestly liked Reagan. I believe he was a genuine, honorable person and above all, was able to keep his sense of humor. Most politicians have the most boring speeches imaginable, but you could always count on Reagan to punch up any speech with his own special brand of humor. He was truly a great communicator, I remember when the Challenger exploded...the great speech he made about the crew leaving the bonds of earth behind to "touch the face of God".

He will be missed, but his legacy will live on. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

Comments

• 57 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes, Reagan was a genuinely decent person. Even though some despised his politics, people on both sides of the aisle respected him.
  • Many of us will remember him as the President that brought dignity, respect and a touch of class back to the White House. Rest in Peace Mr. President.
  • A great American, in my opinion, with a wonderful sense of humor.
  • Amen to all of the above. Pres. Reagan was a class act - dignity, honor and morality. Truly a good person. It will be some time (if ever) that we see another like him.

God Bless Ronald Reagan.
  • Only through the objective lens of hindsight can we really see the mark the Reagan years left upon our country. I admit at the time he was president I wasn't very fond of his politics and his foreign policies made me nervous (being in the military at the time). But he did accomplish the gargantuan task of ending the cold war and if for no other reason than that, he will be remembered as one of the best presidents of the 20th century.

How sad it must be to have accomplished so much in your life only to find yourself at the end not being able to remember any of it because of some wretched disease.
  • His detractors and even those who defile him at the moment of his death, bemoan the fact that America elected with a 70% margin, an actor and a cowboy, but what a leader and warm, genuine guy. I listened to several programs of remembrance over the weekend. One thing that struck me, that I think is meaningful, is this: The lady recalling the Reagan years, when she worked somewhere in the administration, said, "You could always tell when President Reagan was coming down the hall, long before he got to your department or your door. You could tell by the laughter. He cheered people up and had a genuine regard for everybody working there and their problems. He never failed to speak to everybody and was very caring and down to earth. You could hear that laughter and it made it a good place to work. And he would never take off his tie and jacket in the oval office." He seemed to be a leader of people and a uniter, though a firm person when he needed to be. Being the oldest man ever elected president, wasn't it a good moment when he told Walter Mondale in the debates, "No, I will not allow age to become an issue in this campaign. I refuse to hold my opponents youth and inexperience against him." It brought down the house including Mr. Mondale's huge laugh.

"MR. GORBOCEV, TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!"
  • A significant life that made a difference to all of us. Rest in peace.
  • President Reagan was a hero, a communicator, a good, caring and honorable person. I hope all of us can say that at the end of our time on earth.

God Bless you Mr. President Rest in Peace.

Lisa
  • Quoting a woman who was standing in line last evening at the Reagan Library, "I'm not here to mourn President Reagan. I'm here to thank God that he lived."
  • That comment is very fitting - something that he would have smiled at.

Anyone see Nancy rest her cheek on his casket - just for a moment? It just rips your heart out. His daughter wrote a good article (People magazine, I think), describing his final hours. How wonderful for his family - that he came back & was able to clearly recognize Nancy. She said it was the greatest gift he could have given her.
  • >That comment is very fitting - something that he
    >would have smiled at.
    >
    >Anyone see Nancy rest her cheek on his casket -
    >just for a moment? It just rips your heart out.
    > His daughter wrote a good article (People
    >magazine, I think), describing his final hours.
    >How wonderful for his family - that he came back
    >& was able to clearly recognize Nancy. She said
    >it was the greatest gift he could have given
    >her.

Yahoo: Nancy resting her cheek on the casket was the most touching thing I have seen in a long time. She looks so fragile...I would not be surprised if she doesn't follow him very soon.

• I really wanted to go to the Reagan Library to pay my respects. I only live about 30 minutes away from it and I've never been there before.

News reports were stating that just to drive to the college was taking about 5 hours and then it was another 2-3 hour wait to get the shuttle that took you from the college to the Library. I just don't have that kind of time right now. I plan on going to visit there after he's laid to rest.

I was just a youngster in elementary school during his Presidency, but I certainly understand and appreciate how much of an impact he really had on our country.

• They really need to get somebody involved who has crowd control and movement experience. Am I the only one who thought the daughter's short skirt and long hair were sort of space-cadetish for a 50+ year old woman? She's the same one who was in Playboy a few years ago. At least today she had on an appropriate long black dress. Nancy's a class act.
  • I agree - Nancy's a class act & she's had a horrible job the last few years. I can't even imagine what it must be like to see the person you love deteriorate to the point that they don't know who you are.

I didn't see the daughter's dress - doesn't exactly sound appropriate though.

What about the democratic furor that this funeral is not "bi-partisan enough"????? Pardon me, but what is there about a funeral that could be partisan or bi-partisan? Give me a break!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-09-04 AT 03:09PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Clinton is reportedly miffed because he has not been asked to eulogize Reagan at the funeral. Ted Kennedy has said the Republicans are using the media to their advantage. What? The media are tools of the liberal camp. And which Republican was manipulating the media when Lurch Kerry showed up with his guards and broke line at the library and the cameras came along and caught him crossing himself. He made sure the camera was there first though. God save us all from some television camera at the funeral service panning over to Hillary sitting there in black and pink with that Eat Sh*t smirk on her face. Sorry, 'bout to get my BP up.
  • It's okay Don D - I'm with you. Go take a deep breath & turn on Hannity.
  • Did any of the rest of you find yourself glued to the TV last night? I had not planned to watch any of it, but caught the beginning and never turned it off. The riderless horse flashed me back to Kennedy's. .I don't remember Johnson's at all.. .but it was the 70's. Larry King interviewed the senior Bushes which was also very interesting to me. He had talked with the Fords the night before. Tonight, Colin Powell which I will not miss. I am babbling a bit, thanks for enduring. I have just been more effected by this than I would ever have imagined.
  • I'm embarassed to report that all of Mississippi's congressional delegation, save one, will attend the funeral. Democratic Representative Bennie 'millionaire' Thompson suddenly had a scheduling conflict. Our new Governor, Haley Barber and wife, are there as well. Thank God it wasn't OUR state plane that caused all that ruckus yesterday.
  • The erroneous overflight isn't hard to understand, though. I don't think biplanes have IFF transponders in them and that's what caused all the ruckus. x;-)
  • Whoa Sonny!

You remember the 60's, but not the 70's???? I thought it was supposed to be the other way around!

One of the things I was struck by the services yesterday was how celebratory (in a good way) the crowd was towards the ceremony. Celebration of a life and what RR stood for. Very uplifting.

I remember (and I DO remember the 60's), when Kennedy's procession was on TV. It was such a shocking experience to watch. There was not a sound made by the crowd...all you could hear were the drumbeats over and over again. I think the entire nation was in shock.

• You're right Rockie. That will stick in my mind forever. Black horses. Drumbeats. Clicking hooves.
  • Wow, some of you guys are really old. I was in 7th grade when the news about Kennedy's assassination was announced in our science class. Not old enough to even begin to understand the squabble between Republicans and Democrats.

The squabbles continue and are somehow quite embarassing. Watching the level to which some people sink to make political points diminishes all of us a bit. In any event, there are events which should galvanize the populace to brief moments of unity and single-mindedness. This could be one of those times, even during an election year.

Agree of disagree with the politics. This man made a difference and carried out his time in office with class and dignity. Never swaying from the principles that guided what was Right and Wrong in his viewpoint and taking on tremendous challenges. I find it all quite inspirational.

Hidden in the midst of all this pomp and circumstance and political haymaking is a challenge for each of us to rise to the example and do better.

• I was a kid in the 60's and did my thing in the 70's x;-)

I think I was in second or third grade when Kennedy died. I have this vivid memory of my mother, sitting in front of the black and white TV in the basement, crying as she watched the funeral while she was hemming my Thanksgiving Day dress. She is not a crier and a die hard Republican.. it just one of those "pictures" that get embedded in your mind.
  • I still remeber very clearly getting to hear Ronald Reagan in person. He had come to the university I was attending and gave a speech. The college I attended was Bob Jones University. I still remember him coming out onto the platform and being taken back by 5,000+ people being there. He said he had expected maybe several hundred people and a question and answer period. But since there were so many of us, he said he had a speech to give later that day & he would try it out on us. Needless to say, it was great.

As to the Clinton's, if they want to act like the spoiled self-centered children they are, then fine, they can stay home...which would suit me just fine.
  • I didn't intend to watch the funeral either, but to record it and watch it later. I ended up glued to the TV for the entire thing. I was blown away and choked up the whole time, but I just about lost it when Nancy touched the coffin - does anyone know what she whispered? I am glad that Reagan's suffering is over, but brokenhearted for Nancy. She's one tough lady.
  • She said, "I love you, Ronnie" as she patted the casket. Like you, it tore my heart out. I, too was curious as to what she said & studied her lips very closely when they played that clip again. It was pretty clear to me.

I wonder how long she'll be with us after all of this. She's one tough lady, alright, but she's lost her #1 reason for living. At her age, it is not uncommon to just give up on living & will it to happen.

• At her age, it is not uncommon to just give up on living & will
    >it to happen.

We were just discussing this. How old is Nancy? If they have said over the last few days no one here heard it.

• I believe I heard she will be 81 shortly.