My pet peeve . . .

Parabeagle doesn't like slow service from his favorite fast food restaurant OR from the forum . . . here's what is making me nuts today.

We are hiring like crazy, so I've been on the phone a lot today, setting up interviews. Several times today I've heard this response on the other end when I call somebody:

"Hello!"

So, I request the person I'm looking for and then the response I get is:

"HAHAHA, caught you! This is just an answering machine . . . . "

Oh, that makes me nuts! I'm so irritated by it I want to leave them a message about what boneheads they are.

And to think that when I change my answering machine message, I listen to it a couple times to make sure it sounds decent. Grrrrrrrr xx(

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • So Mel, do you hire those people or just go on to the next candidate?

We were hiring from early summer through the fall at a steady pace. Then in November El Presidente decided we weren't hiring fast enough. Of course 3 different people doing manpower projections would give me 3 different numbers. It got to the point he was going to send people from corporate to do our jobs that he felt we were unable to do. So, to prove our competence, I made recruiting my number one priority. At the beginning of this month, the manpower planners said, "Oops". We calculated wrong, we now have way too many people. Ray, get rid of them, make them go away. But, do it so we don't have to pay UI. Talk about boneheads.
  • To answer your question, I still leave a message for them to return my call. By the time they call me back, I won't remember their stupid machine message. (I don't make a special note on their application that they are boneheads, maybe I should).
  • I called an applicant the other day and his message was:
    "What up dawg, leave me your number and I'll holla back."

That's all fine and dandy when you're with your friends, but if you're going to give the number out to potential employers you need to think twice.
    And I hate the ones that play music for 30 seconds and then just beep. What is that?? I'm not calling you to hear Snoop Dogg on my phone.

BTY- I now have a great name for my dog when I get one. I'm going to name him Peeve. I'll introduce him as "my pet, Peeve".

• I had an answering machine play the theme song from "The God, The Bad, The Ugly" to me once. I ended up interviewing the guy because I was curious as to which one he was. He brought a guitar to the interview and played and sang "Here Comes the Sun". Now you're probably wondering how and why did I let the interview degenerate to such a point. Well we were interviewing for a finish carpenter and he brought his guitar that he had made (he called it his resume). I, being a guitar player myself, asked to see it, of course. I then wanted to see what it sounded like and he obliged.
  • My new pet peeve is people who start a pet peeve thread when one is already up and running. What's up with that, dawg?
  • If you'll notice, para wasn't asking for other pet peeves, just asking what we thought of his. You've just reminded me of another pet peeve I have.
  • There is a new phone service you can purchase. It is my latest peeve. You call and get.."This party does not accept calls from unidentified parties. Please state your name or company" You do that and it goes "please hold, trying to connect... please hold trying to connect" ad nauseum. Annoying as hell.
  • Guess if Mel ever called me I'd have to change the greeting on my voice mail - wouldn't want to upset her. x;-)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-17-04 AT 11:06AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I know some one whose machine says "You have a wrong number." A lot of people leave messages apologizing.
  • I heard somewhere (no, it wasn't on a phone message) that some people believe putting a message like that on your answering machine deters telemarketing calls - because telemarketers listen only for the first few seconds, then if it's a machine, they hang up and autodial the next number. The theory is, the telemarketer hears the initial "Hello," picks up to start making the pitch, hears the rest of the message, gets hacked off at the waste of time, and whacks the number from the database so the same thing won't happen next time.

I don't believe it actually works, but it may explain why you get a number of these messages.

Brad Forrister
    Director of Publishing
    M. Lee Smith Publishers

• The loophole in the do not call list is that it exempts politicians (particularly those who pre-record an announcement). Does anyone have a method to eliminate these calls. I'm getting more and more desparate as we get closer to the NY primary. xx(
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-17-04 AT 07:05PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Enjoy the day while they're all in Liberal Wisconsin. Your day will come. Was it Martha and The Vandellas who sang that? (Edit) Sorry, Ruby and the Romantics. Maybe it was 'My Day Will Come".