Favorite Childhood Show

13»

Comments

• Being from the Philly area, Sally Starr of course, but only because she used to show The Three Stooges.
  • I cannot believe all you people. Where is the world coming from and going to? Shades of Lash Larue. The name of the Cisco Kid's horse was Diablo. And Superman's original cape was green. Sky King was very close to being incarcerated for an incestous relationship with Penny. And Joey and Pete had quite the unordinary relationship with Fury in the stable on one cold October evening. Nobody yet has spoken of Pipinno and Kate in the Real McCoys. And, if not for Dudley Dooright, who would have saved the day? Who indeed? Can't you see the half-moon shaped brown plastic box on top of the TV as your dad presses the knob gently down to the left and the light moves from East to Northeast to West and the screen flickers, then becomes clear? How magical for a 9 year old that the antenna would actually oscillate and make another screen come clearer into the den and was mom actually going into the kitchen to serve up apple cobbler, or was it the last call to us all before demanding we climb between the cozy sheets she had turned down in the bedroom? Flashlights playing on the ceiling indeed. Goodnight John Boy.
  • I grew up watching Sesame Street and for the local people around Philly, Chief Halftown, Captain Noah and Al Alberts Showcase. How about Sally Star anyone remember her? I remember Kato and the Green Hornet (I was very very young...they might have been reruns), the ORIGINAL Batman (POW, BAM). I watched reruns of Big Valley and Bonanza (Little Joe was my favorite) with my mom. I can remember reruns of Peyton Place (Patty Duke) how racey was that compared to today!

Captain Noah died a few years ago and Chief Halftown just passed away last month. Al Alberts did his shows in the summer from the Steel Pier in Atlantic City. Sally Star is broke and living somewhere in Philly.

Oh if I could only go back to those days. I enjoyed them so much, when I could run the neighborhood and ride bikes until dark...and my mother wouldn't worry, she knew I was safe. Ahhhhhhhhhh those days are gone forever!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-09-03 AT 11:31AM (CST)[/font][p]In Arizona, the local was Wallace and Ladmo - they were on tv for 35 or 36 years. A main character, Gerald, was played by a local DJ named Pat McMahon, who still does talk radio. A prized possession in that day was a Ladmo Bag. The lead in song's words were, "Ho ho, ha ha, hee, hee, ha, ha." And now that it's in my brain, I will quietly slip away 8-}.
  • >> I remember thinking Leslie Ann Warren was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen.

Debbie, isn't Leslie Ann Warren from Kansas City too?

Maybe you'll run into her someday!
  • I don't think they had TV when I grew up. Oh yeah, that was the magic box wasn't it.
  • If my son doesn't get his grades up, we're not going to have TV either. ;)
  • Are parents still doing that? Wow, that brought back memories, not of MY childhood in particular, but my siblings. x;-)
  • Just parents are supposed to do that? My wife won't let me watch tv if I don't do my chores!

I like a lot of the shows listed here, but the hardest I had laughed (at the time) was when I stayed up late one night when the folks were out somewhere and watch the Red Skelton show. I had no idea someone could be so funny - until I discovered Jonathan Winters. I guess I am dated now.