Have you noticed?

Some days on HR-de-har-har are quite busy with a lot of posting going on and other days are quite slow. Today seems to be one of those slow days.

Admit it, how many of you spend more time in this conference than any other conference?

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This is my thrid visit this morning..... I'm looking for other centerfolds.....................
  • I spend a lot more time than I should on this thing, but I think it's a defense mechanism -- I'm the only HR in my co., so no one else speaks the same language I do and they look at me like I have two heads when I start talking about FLSA, FMLA, ADA, EEOC, OFCCP, NAACP, ASPCA, PBS, John Birch Society... oh, wait... I digress.x;-)
  • The heck with abbreviations. Try using words like "reasonable accomodation" with your managers. They'll never understand it. "Hostile environment" is another term that no one but HR seems to understand.
  • I actually spend more time in the HR & Employment Law Forum, but I am not compelled to respond as much as here.
  • I definitely spend more time here, but when you only have one vacant position, where else should you spend the time? x:D (and believe me, that is not a complaint) How else do you think I keep up with that recipe book?
  • I am here at least once a day. It helps me feel vindicated that I am not the only out there. I work with 4 other HR people and two of them just don't get it either. I asked one the other day about her thoughts on the new FLSA changes. Her response, what's that? And she's been in HR for 20 years. Sorry for the digression.
  • Ray,

I like to take credit for suggesting the Har-de-HR forum. At the time, I was feeling guilty about my non-serious postings. I didn't make up the clever name though. That must have been Christy or Margaret. Very strategic indeed!

For a time, I wouldn't read other sections. I was a HR de Hr junkie. I felt bad about this. I thought I could stop but I couldn't. Things hit their peak during the infamous Haiku contest.

On the other hand, if you need a laugh or something to break the tension, the Har-de-hr forum is good way to blow off some steam.

If you can't laugh, stay out of HR.

Paul in Cannon Beach
  • Ray,

Paul gets credit for starting the tradition of the question or HR-Har-De-Har-Har activity of the week with the HR Haiku contest.

I cannot take credit for the clever name of the section. That was done by Christy and the very creative people at M. Lee Smith Publishers, who sponsor this Forum where we trade information, recipes, insults and in general just act up. We really owe them because we are so much smarter and de-stressed thanks to the Forum.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Paul and Margaret,

The name HR-de-har-har was thunk up by Brad Forrister, our director of publishing, who also came up with the name HR Hero Sandwich. I always love a good pun.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • "The name HR-de-har-har was thunk up by Brad Forrister, our director of publishing,"

I used the word "thunk" the other day and one of the owners of our company was involved in the conversation. (Casual conversation, I wasn't worried he would think I was a dolt). Well, after the whole conversation ended, he was kind of quiet, then asked, "Is thunk really a word?" He wasn't being sarcastic, he was actually stumped as to whether it was legitimate or not. Silly me.

• I often use "thunk" at work just to lighten things up, and I get constantly laughed at!

I thunk they are just jealous they didn't use it first!
  • Hey Paul, welcome back!! You have been missed. Be sure to check out DonD's centerfold. The competition is getting tough
  • Welcome back paul. You were missed. x:*
  • Last Tuesday my boss was in town from corporate and he camps out on the other side of my desk with his laptop. I had to fire 2 people that day. I was informed of a sexual harassment claim against a manager. An ee stopped by my office incensed over someone else getting a promotion and even suggested it was racially motivated. Our VP complained to my boss that I wasn't moving quickly enough to hire a new director - my boss correctly defended me saying it was the VP's fault.

You're right, Margaret, this section of the forum is a great way to get de-stressed. I had to jump in several times during that day to maintain my sanity.
  • This section of the Forum is sort of like Prozac-On-Line!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • I'm with Leslie - I read them all, but am more often compelled to respond to the HR de har har posts.

I have acknowledged my addiction, and am attempting to control it by only logging on an hour or so before the doors are locked for the night so I am FORCED to log out. I found that when I log in first thing in the morning, I don't come up for air until at least two hours later. I still search old posts for good stuff, and I reread some of them.

I could do this 'til my eyes go buggy.
  • I'm here this morning 2hrs before my co-workers arrive, after quickly checking my e-mail, the next thing I checked was the forum. I just want to see what is new. We are all a bunch of Forum junkies!