Excuses, Excuses, Excuses

I am new to this board, but think it is hilarious..so I thought I would jump in.

What is the most outrageous, bizarre, or just plain odd reason an employee has given you for why they can't come to work or why they can't do their work.

Here are a few of my favorite:

"My car door fell off on the freeway on my way to work"

"I couldn't come to work because I was arrested for beating up my wife's boyfriend" (when I informed him that his employment was still terminated, he asked if he could bring in a doctor's note. I then asked what purpose would a doctor's note serve - he was in jail. He started the whole.."well see, it was because of the medication I was on.....blah, blah, blah"

"I met this honey last night and I wasn't leaving my bed for NOTHING!!"

There are many more that I will post later. Feel free to add yours.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We had an employee who had missed several days. She was warned that if she missed one more day she would be terminated. She of coursed called in sick and told me that she was going out of work because she hurt her elbow at work. I got a call from our workers comp company saying that she submitted a claim for a hernia operation the same day she claimed she hurt her elbow. When I confronted her she admitted to making up the hurt elbow and I admitted that she was fired.
  • "You don't pay me enough for me to care how I do my job... and if you don't like it, you can fire me."

Happened yesterday and there were a few other things said that I can't repeat - clearly insubordination. So, this morning when it was brought to my attention, I asked the ee if he said those things and he replied in the affirmative. So, I told him I was going to grant his wish... and fired him.
  • We had a guy who was shot in the hand by his brother when they were "messin' around". He was off for awhile. About two weeks later he couldn't come in because his girlfriend had been in a car accident. About three days later he couldn't come in because she died. Shortly after he came back from his girlfriend's funeral, he was tied up in a court case and he was found guilty. He's in prison now, but he married his girlfriend (remember her?) a couple days before leaving for prison. It was confirmed by a member of his family that he never had a girlfriend in a car accident, much less dying.
  • And his reward for all this lying is that he has a new 'girlfriend' in prison.
  • We had a guy who received a phone call from home. He immediately clocked out and said he had to leave because his cat was having a nervous breakdown and destroying the house. /:)
  • Funny you should mention a cat. We just had woman leave because her husband called to let her know the cat got outside. We asked why he didn't catch the cat and she said he did like the cat so she had to leave work to get it.
  • How's about this one. I can't come in today because my husband is trying to hang himself in the garage. I have to stay home and make sure he doesn't do it. I'll be in tomorrow. The medicine should kick in by then.
  • >How's about this one. I can't come in today because my husband is
    >trying to hang himself in the garage. I have to stay home and make
    >sure he doesn't do it. I'll be in tomorrow. The medicine should kick
    >in by then.

What she meant was, "He can't do anything right. I have to stay home and make sure he doesn't screw this up too."
  • Oh dear, you caught me. Now I can tell you that it was classified as an excused absence.
  • I can't come to orientation because it's too hot outside and my car doesn't have air conditioning. (98 degrees in Phoenix is NOT hot. Also, it's not getting any cooler for the next few months!)