Convicts, jailbirds and delinquents . . .

I was hired by this company and told that it needed some structure in the HR Department. I AM the department, the first HR person this company has ever had. We are currently sitting at 38 employees. We have 3 sex offenders, (one is the owner's son), 2 people currently in jail (getting out on Huber, so of course, now their attendance is perfect), only six employees have perfect attendance, others have over 20 occurrances in the past 12 months, (including absent, tardy and leaving early). Nobody was ever fired (in five years) before I came along. NOW, I've put together a tracking / recording method for attendance. We have a policy that employees have signed off on, and they continue to be absent. I've fired 11 people so far, but when I let the supervisors know who is due for write-ups / discipline, they generally use "their discretion" because "when the employee is HERE, he's actually a good worker". Oh great. Keep in mind the employees all show up at the bar together after each shift, (occasionally with the owners and supervisors of the company; the owners are young and they party also, sometimes harder than the employees.) So, sometimes the humor isn't in the employees of the company, in my case it's in the company itself. I'm fighting a losing battle . . . can you feel it?

Comments