What do you hate the most about the grocery store?

2»

Comments

• >I will admit to having complaints about the grocery chain where I used
    >to shop--and that is the operative phrase. I no longer shop there for
    >many of the same complaints already listed in this posting. Plus I
    >would frequently find perishables still on the shelf after their
    >expiration date. My husband still stops in there to pick up
    >ocassional items because it is just a couple of blocks from our house.
    > A coule of years ago he ran in one morning to pick up a package of
    >lunchmeat. When he got it home I saw it was three weeks past the sell
    >by date. I immediately took it back to the store and was told I'd
    >have to come back an hour later to talk with the manager about it if I
    >wanted my money back. They offered me a replacement--which I
    >declined. I tossed the package on the counter and informed the
    >cashier I didn't want the money that badly, and their old food and
    >poor customer service is the very reason why I stopped shopping there!

Hey Sally!

You should have turned them in to the local DHEC. I am sure they would have probably been closed down for these type of violations. YUK!!!

• WOCO, enlighten me.. what constitues a lousy grocery shopper?
  • Last time I was at Super K-mart there were only a few registers open and the lines were long. I chose the express aisle which happened to be nearest the door. Apparently the security had quit or been laid off because each time a customer leaving the store went through the magnetic theft prevention screeners and they buzzed, our cashier left the register and checked the receipts and bags of the people leaving. No apologies or explanations - she just turned aound to do that job too and left us standing there, and the thing buzzed for just about everyone.
  • I hate most types of shopping. I have a mission
    I go shopping. Whether it's a grocery store or
    "the Mall", I go, get the item(s) I want and
    leave. I can kill a lot of time in a book store,
    hardware store or gardening center, besides that
    it's chore to go waste money anywhere else, ha!
  • Reading about 'self-checkout' lanes makes me really feel like a small-town girl. I have never even heard of them. (What will they think of next?)

I must admit that I am fortunate to have a husband who often enjoys going to the store with me. Maybe he just likes to keep an eye on my spending, or maybe its because in our small town grocery shopping is a social event.

My gripe about grocery shopping: The poor checkers who are totally unable to add or subtract without a calculator. A couple of times recently I have been in a line where there was a problem. Once a sale item did not ring up and the checker could not type in the price because the single item was priced at 3/$5 and she could not figure out the price, and did not want to believe those of us in line who told her the price. Another time a checker accidentally typed in the wrong amount of the check and simply could not figure out how to fix it without voiding the whole thing. This was on the order in front of me and we finally convinced the checker to use a piece of paper and we walked her through the figuring. She finished the order but I don't think she ever did understand what had happened. She probably worried until the end of her shift whether or not her drawer would balance.

This must be a real problem for retail management!