I-9's

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-09-07 AT 08:44AM (CST)[/font][br][br]What would a company do if a catastophic event (fire, tornado, sabatoge, etc.) caused the loss of their I-9's?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I guess the same thing that they would do about the personnel files, HIPAA files, and any other information that doesn't have a duplicate stored off premsis... do the best job of "recreating you can" and document why you don't have any of the rest. Good question and calls attention to how we may need off premsis storage, especially if you can scan and store somewhere else.

E Wart
  • I have an unusual situation. I know employees must bring in their documentation within 3 days, but are employers allowed to prevent the new hire from even starting if they don't bring it on the 1st day?

I couldn't find anything on this. Thanks!
  • The form states: "However, if employers hire individuals for a duration of less than three business days, Section 2 must be completed at the time employment begins."

For all other purposes the ee has 3 business days from the date employment begain to present the required documents. If they are unable to present the documents within the 3 days, they must present a receipt for the application of the documnet(s) within 3 business days and the actual document(s) within 90 days.

Other than ee's you are hiring for a period of less than 3 days they must be allowed the time period listed above.
  • Of course, makes perfect sense. Duh...I'm running on 3 hours sleep.
  • Good question - why couldn't we start scanning and saving the I-9's electronically? It would resolve keeping them separate from the employee file and provide an electronic back-up.