Company sponsored sports teams

Does anyone have a policy they would like to share on sponsoring employee and or youth sports teams?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We don't have a policy per se, but I believe we have a note posted with our labor law posters as a notification that employees who choose to compete on company sports teams (we had a bowling team, I think) were doing so on their own time and any injuries that arose in the course of playing would not be considered for workers' comp. You might check with your carrier and see if they have a sample wording you could use.
  • I realize the need to have a statement to that effect contained in the policy ie "that participation is voluntary and takes place on own time and off company premises" so that WC is not applicable.

What I am really looking for is an idea of what other companies cover: what sports or activities, what does sponsorship cover (no alchohol purchases), how much per sponsorship, annual limits, etc.
  • Ah, but here comes the rub. It has been our experience (on more than one occasion)that an injury that happens while participating in a company sponsored "team event" has away of only showing up the next morning after the employee has returned to work.

We have discontinued all company sponsored employee team events.
  • We have this paragraph in our Employee Manual:

Sports

Some of our employees enhance their leisure time by forming their own athletic teams in order to compete in city leagues in such sports as bowling, softball and volleyball. These are not official company functions, and those participating on their own time are not within the scope of their employment when doing so; however, we may assist such employees by defraying some of the costs.

We do sponsor a bowling team, volleyball and softball teams and a golf 4-some on a league.
  • Contact your insurance broker or attorney to get a sign off "no liability" form before anyone plays. (At one of my past employers, one of the softball players broke their arm. (And it was the oweners son!!). Had waiver so not covered under W/C and no law suits. (May not work 100%, but better than none at all.)
    E Wart
  • We have had a softball team in the past. We paid for jerseys and the registration fee only. We didn't have them sign anything, but if we do it again, I will probably have them sign the waiver to put in file.