Diversity Training STAT!

Will it ever end?... Yesterday, one of my employees sent out and email to about 40 co-workers regarding "A white woman's opinion of black women". #-o Of course, this has caused a major uproar amongst the troops.

Does anyone have any diversity training materials they would like to share or can point me in the right direction on a training program? If so, can you email them to me at [email]snewman@lighthousecredit.org[/email].

Why me?... I hope you have a great day!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would start my training program by teaching the employee how to fill-out unemployment paperwork at the State office.

There are several off-the-shelf training packages that deal with diversity in the workplace. It is my opinion, however, that you first need to deal with geneal business etiquette, use of email systems, etc.

Gene
  • The person that sent the email should be the one on the hot seat. Gene's answer to you is right on the money.

Although diversity training is a good idea, you may be overreacting. I think the immediate action should start with your company's policies on discipline, personal emails, company statement on harrassment, etc.

Then step back, take a deep breath and then organize a training session.
  • When we discover questionable use of internet or email (situations like yours), they receive no publicity, but the individual receives an appropriate level of discipline (depending on track record), and shortly thereafter our CEO sends out a general "reminder" and restatement of our email/internet policy to all employees in plain language, with a link to the relevant policy for reinforcement and a reminder that disciplinary action awaits misuse and any form of discrimination.
  • This is really not about diversity training needs or misuse of the company email system. It's all about the misguided and inappropriate actions, comments and attitudes of an employee. It's no different from a white woman standing up in the middle of the lunchroom at noon and saying, "Hey, you guys hear the one about the hung black dude." Fire the person and worry about training later.

The employer is not responsible for the basic 'home training' of its employees, only for responding to such idiocy. Basic training, sure, let it be an annual feature, but you cannot be responsible for predicting this sort of stupidity. Your reaction somehow makes me think you feel responsible that the employee used your internal systems as the vehicle for his/her inappropriate activity. Diversity training is not designed to teach the basics of human civility.

NoTrng4UdisTime.